We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations the night before Elephant Plains

Which Kruger National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Weatherford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations the night before Elephant Plains

We are two couples traveling through South Africa in October. We plan to tour through the Panorama Route on the 20th and need to be at Elephant Plains by noon on the 21st. We are looking for a good clean and affordable place to stay on the night of the 20th. Any suggestions? I have looked at the Mountain View Camp at Moholoholo but I can't find any reviews. That fits the affordable criteria if we stay in one of the 4 bed chalets, but I'm not sure about good and clean? Many places are already filling up for October, and this is one of my last reservations to make. Thanks for your help.

rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations the night before Elephant Plains

Dear okietraveler79 , Im in the same situation as you. Me and my wife will be at Elephant Plains from July 25/28 and would like to sleep in a hotel out side the Park from 24/25 while we will rent a car at Joanesburg airport on 24th in the morning. I also need a recomendation for an affordable place to stay, maybe at Hazyview.. And another recomendation from 28/29 in a city near Joanesburg as our flight back to Brazil is at 10:15 am. Thanks and sorry by using your post.

Edited: 5:29 pm, May 17, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations the night before Elephant Plains

This link may assist, 6th post down is about Mountain View ( posted 28 March 2012 ) I haven’t stayed there so I can’t comment.

tripadvisor.com.au/…REVIEWS

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
929 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations the night before Elephant Plains

Hello, stay at Moholoholo Forest Camp. This camp is situated in the heart of the forest at the base of the huge Mountain Range called the Northern Drakensberg. I have stayed there many times with guests and they have all thoroughly enjoyed it. The chalets are right in the forest and the main area has a deck overlooking the forest and a small pool. This attracts all sorts of animals and birds and the very rare Samango Monkey which only dwells in forest Canopies. At dinner which is on the deck, you may also see the rate bush pigs foraging for food. The chalets are lovely with bathroom ensuite and the food is very tasty homecooked meals with salads and homebaked breads.You can also do a night drive after dinner to see truly nocturnal animals. It is the only place that i have every seen the very elusive Aardvark. It is a 5 hour drive from Johannesburg over the ABel Erasmus Pass and you turn off the Hoedspruit Road, at the Snake Park.

Ferlui - Hazyview is a great base to stay and there are good clean and affordable places. Hippo Hollow is my favourite, they also have lovely self catering chalets and hotels rooms, the meals are excellent and the dinner deck overlooks the Sabie River full of hippos. Cheaper option is Numbi Hotel, recently refurbished and good value for money.

For Johannesburg, the best place is Sandton, where it is very safe and clean. Try Garden Court west street which is right opposite the Nelson Mandela Square, lots of fabulous restuarants to choose from on the square, and safe to walk around.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
7,893 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations the night before Elephant Plains

I like this place - http://mykrugerlodge.com/ - might be just what you are looking for..

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

5. Re: Accommodations the night before Elephant Plains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 20, 2014