We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

Which Kruger National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian and I'll be working with an NGO in White River this July, and I've decided to stay in the area for an additional ten days of sightseeing afterwards.

As a woman alone, how safe is it to drive in this area (Nelspruit, Hazyview, Sabie Sands, Kruger etc.) by myself? I'd love the freedom of traveling on my own, but I don't want to take any unnecessary risks. Would I be better off to find a tour group, or would I likely be ok on my own? Do other women travel this area on their own? I have a fair bit of travel experience, so I'm not totally green, but it is my first time in Africa.

I'd appreciate any local advice!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
285 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

You will be fine on your own provided you take the usual precautions. Don't drive at night, know where you are going (so you don't look lost), keep your eyes open, don't leave valuables visible.

Enjoy!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

As already said take the usual precautions in the surrounding towns.

In Kruger itself you should be fine, we met an American woman at one of the camps who spend months each year driving through South African parks. She was not young and has had no safety problems.

Plus of course if you are staying in the Sanparks camps you will meet heaps of friendly people just like we did. South Africans are very friendly and rightly very proud of Kruger and love to share their knowledge with foreigners. One night we had dinner with a couple who we met in our cars at a lion sighting!

Also you can do morning and evening game drives with the camp rangers, you will love Kruger especially with the independence and flexibility of self drive.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

Do other women travel alone? Yes. Including me, in my little hatchback, with the back seat piled high with all the stuff I couldn't fit in the boot - so far, no-one has shown any inclination to relieve me of any of it :-)

Edited: 6:17 am, May 15, 2013
Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
929 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

Kruger Park area is quite safe. Just be careful if you leave the park and drive on the roads particularly between White river and Hoedpruit. This can be quite dangerous because of animals in the road, unroadworthy cars and children running across the road. Rather stick to daytime driving if not in Kruger and dont stop to ask directions unless at a filling station.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

Thank you all! You've given me the courage to do it! I can't wait for my trip.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

Enjoy it!

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

Just another note - I live in the Kruger area (23yr old female) and all is good :-).

ENJOY! What NGO are you working with?

Warm regards,

Jacqui

Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

Thanks Jacqui! Glad to hear it. I'll be working with Hands At Work Africa, primarily supporting women, orphans and care workers in the area. Are you familiar at all with the organization?

9. Re: Safety for a Woman Alone in Kruger National Park Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, May 23, 2014