We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria and an infant

indiana
7 posts
Save Topic
malaria and an infant

hoping you experts could advise...we are going to SA for 2 weeks with our 7 month old (who is still nursing) and will be on hunting safari for 5 days, and hope to do kruger. we are going last week of july/first week of august . we are told our areas are malaria free, very northern s.a., but we were wondering about doing kruger. any advice? i am told winter is the best time, but i cannot take malarials and the baby can't - that i know. thanks in advance

Soton England
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: malaria and an infant

I will be taking my children into Kruger Park at the end of July. Took the youngest in at 3 months ( a few years ago) and have been in several times since. Like yourself was concerned about malaria and have given them the medicine before

I have kept researching it as much as I could. When you do this you find out alll sorts of contradictions and it becomes very confusing.

The main fact I found out about was how seasonal the occurance is. The last month of the transmission season is usually April, after which the risk is reduced significantly until it starts again. Look at the map on this website:

http://www.reiseklinikken.no/SafLastMonth.pdf

This and speaking to lots of people and asking their views convinced me there was no need to take anything in the Winter months and not to be concerned about it.

On the whole though nobody can give definitive advice, do your own research and make your decision, that's what I've done.

indiana
7 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: malaria and an infant

zbatman, thanks so much! very helpful - i don't suppose you still have info for kwe kwe, they sound lovely.....and i see you are writing from sandton - any recommendations for places to stay near there, or rosebank to do a day or two of shopping before we head back to the US?

chicago
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: malaria and an infant

I've been researching the same exact thing - and coming from Chicago which is very close to Indiana. Last time we were in South Africa we went to Madikwe b/c I was pregnant and I didn't need to take malarials.

This time we're looking at lodges in Kruger and Phinda as well. All the reserach I've done suggests it would be fine to take my two children in January (my son will be 18 mo and my daughter 3yrs3 mo) and give them malarone if they are over 24lbs. Other option would be to give them Larium which I'm not really comfortable with at all given I had hallucinations with that drug. I don't think there are many recommended antimalarials for babies although there are a few.

I'm wondering if I'm taking a big risk or not considering this trip.

Hoping you have a great time and let us know what you ended up doing - I'm really interested to hear.

indiana
7 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: malaria and an infant

well, we actually changed plans and decided to head down to port elizabeth to do some more safari, see addo elephant park, and stay at a really nice lodge.....so malaria will not be an issue, and i plan on not taking any or giving the baby any. BUT, i had decided if we were going to kruger (we are going to wait until another trip) that i was not going to give him any medication, and just get a net, a lot of mozzie stuff in SA and have him tested when we returned if i noticed anything! this i decided b/c it is winter there, if it was any other time, i would take something and give him something, although he is not quite 24 lbs. yet, being still under 1 yr. let us know how yours do! it's so exciting!

15. Re: malaria and an infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 14, 2009