We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

CA
Level Contributor
250 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

We will be doing self-drive game drives and I am not sure if all tracks are easliy accessible in a non 4x4 vehicle. Thinking of renting a Discoverer Van.

Comments?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

You do not need a 4x4 for Kruger. The smallest sedan is fine. The roads are tar between the main camps and good gravel otherwise. If localised heavy rain changes conditions temporarily, Sanparks close the affected roads.

(In some places in the park, you may see the odd rough track branching off with signage stating that it is a low maintenance road and open to 4x4 vehicles with good clearance.)

More important is to try and get a vehicle that is roomy enough for your camera gear, binocs, guide books, coffee cups etc. and that has good window visibility all around.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

How many will be traveling in the vehicle? I agree with the above posting that space is key. When we travel with our kids, I try to get a minivan so they can move around. We also like the height they offer. Usually it allows us to spot game over standing sedans.

We have rarely found the need for a 4x4 in Kruger.

When are you going?

Cheers!

CA
Level Contributor
250 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

Thanks for both of those speedy replies. much appreciated.

we are going for two weeks in early September.

in Bots we had a Toyota Helux 4x4 double cab with roof tent. sounds like Kruger is more "civilized" as far as roads and camping conditions are concerned so I was thinking to rent a small Nissan camper with shell, kitchen, bed that converts into table. it doesn't look very high off the ground though.

Any thoughts on that?

I am trying to decide which camps to stay at for camping only. Any favorites?

Thanks, KaliCA

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

No need to worry about clearance. Although the only thing I don't like about campers (okay there is a lot I don't like about campers!) is that apart from the smallest, they are bulky to manoeuvre around some of the little pull-off loops next to rivers and look outs etc. A small model should be okay.

CA
Level Contributor
250 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

We were freezing in our roof tent in September in Namibia. So I am hoping that a camper with a shell will insulate better and it would be less work to get going if we don't have to mess folding the roof tent and getting so dirty in the process.

So it would be a small camper, a Nissan Discoverer or similar perhaps.

How warm/cold will it be in early September?

Thanks for your posts with all the helpful info.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

Hi KaliCA,

With regards to the best camps if you love the bust and peace and quiet I would definately recommend Tzenzee (it is in the north beside Mopani). Its a really nice well kept camp with lots of birdlife.

Also Balule (near Olifonts) is another rustic camp, you almost always have hyena and elephant along the fence.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

Did you check the accomodation in Kruger (sanparks.org)?

Much cheaper than Botswana. MIght even be cheaper to go for a small car and Kruger accomodation compared to renting a camper and camp.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

I have to agree with Tryhard on post #4 about manoeuvrability. If you're comfortale with it then all should be good. It may be worth doing a quick comparison as Jansjans suggests.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

Re the weather:

We were in KNP this September and we had a high of 40 degrees Celcius and a low of 17C (day time temps)!! Very variable this year! Generally find September to be warm to hot during the day and cool but not cold at night.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do any roads in KNP require 4x4 vehicle?

Priced up our two week trip staying in sanparks accommodation and hiring a camper plus camping fees. In July/August, the camper worked out quite a bit more expensive and that was before we added the fuel differential. The advantage is you have your freezer, cooking facilities during the day, etc. Unless we join a 4x4 trail it looks like it will be back to the VW Polo for us!