We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger weather in Feb.

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger weather in Feb.

First of all can I thank every one that has given so much help and advice on planning our forthcoming trip to Kruger. As we are less than a month away now, I've started to keep an eye on the weather forcast for the Kruger area, and I am getting really concerned. It seems every day is cloudy with thunderstorms and an awfull lot of rain, hardly any clear skies.

I must admit we didn't do any research into what the weather might be in region before booking this trip, mainly because last year we were in the Cape Town area, I don't know why but we assumed that it would be a little hotter in Kruger, but similar type weather.

We are concerned now that all the planning and anticipation of a fantastic trip, could be let down by day after day of grey skies and rain. How can you enjoy game drives if it's pouring with rain, windows closed, car steamed up, and nothing to see.

I know we should have thought about this before choosing February, but we had such a fantastic time in South Africa last year, and Feb. is a month when we have some free time off from our business.

Maybe I am just being to pessimistic, but I haven't seen one day of sun forcast during the last 10 days or so. Fingers crossed that somebody is going to tell me it isn't that bad. Being here in Yorkshire UK in mid winter, we have hardly seen a patch of blue sky for about 3 months.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger weather in Feb.

Dont worry about having nothing to see - there is always plenty to see. Its not like cold winter rain in the UK, more like tropical hot rain. Remember you are much closer to the equator than Cape Town. Daytime tempretures up to about 30c - hot enough??? Also the lightning is awesome.

Check here for detailed forecasts sanparks.org/parks/kruger/weather/default.php

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger weather in Feb.

Hi matbe

looking at the weather today, you are 100% correct. it was raining the entire night up until now, out of buckets. But that was last night.

Yesterday we had a good (actually bad) round of Golf and it was very hot and sunny.

The weather is very strange this year but I doubt you will experience rain for days that will not enable you to enjoy KNP and surrounding. We have sunny and hot days and rainy days.

have a look at the forecast:

accuweather.com/en-us/…forecast15.aspx

The next 15 days do not look to good but I am sure it will change in February.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger weather in Feb.

Thanks Klaus, the website link you gave is the one I have been checking, maybe I should just stop looking till a day or two before we leave.

I did realise there would be thunderstorms and some rain at this time of year, but just seems at the moment every time I check, the forcast is for rain and more rain.

Oh well fingers crossed we get some clear weather next month.

Thanks anyway.

Martyn.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger weather in Feb.

Matbe - we go to the Kruger every February from choice and yes it does rain sometimes - the good news is that there is far more sun and the rain does not last- from personal experience (others might disagree) the rains are much heavier in January.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger weather in Feb.

Most of South Africa has had a very wet few months. The floods are not on the scale of Australia's but they are still quite bad.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12199879

Sheffield Village...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger weather in Feb.

I started worrying too much about the weather too, but then thanks to my handy live 'Kruger Cams', sun, sun, sun seems to be the majority of what I am seeing everyday. Additional bonus, it should be lush, which is nice for the eyes, and great for the animals. Heat wise, I have seen the lions panting in ways that make you just hurt for them. I'd say we'll have a mixed bag in all, because we'll be there at the same time, so just roll with it all and have a great time!!

7. Re: Kruger weather in Feb.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 28, 2012