We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in SA & totally confused already!!

london
Level Contributor
477 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
First time in SA & totally confused already!!

Hi everyone. I apologise if i am repeating often asked topics, but I really don't know where to start to plan our trip. We are thinking of going to Kruger in October this year and staying at Ulusaba - is this a good choice and are there any better for around the same price (or a bit cheaper if possible). We then want a beach holiday and I have been told to look into Mozambique. However, my boyfriend is convinced that it is dangerous to travel here - is he right? If so, any other suggestions? We want a luxury hotel with excellent food and a nice pool/beach. Also, is this a good time for game viewing and then a beach holiday? Many thanks for any help.

Channel Islands
Level Contributor
55 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: First time in SA & totally confused already!!

I am a South african living in the Channel islands. If you are going to South AFrica it depends on what you would like to see. Best time for game viewing is in the winter june and july. Not much water- animals come out to find water, the bush is not so dense and it is easier to spot the animals.

The Kruger is a good idea, but it is a very large place and you could drive for days and not see anything. The Pilansberg is a good place to see the big 5 also smaller resorts such as the Timbivati or even Phinda lodge is smaller and you get to see all the animals. Small in south africa is a relative term...so alot of british people still find the smaller game reserves "big" The Hluhluwe Umfolozi is another big reserve and it is on the east coast. The yearly temperature here is about 24c the dry season is april to sept. The east coast benefits from a subtropical climate. The beaches here would be best for that time of year as the cape is very rainy in the winter and cold. You would do well going to a Lodge near sodwana bay or the Cape Vidal erea. It is a marine reserve run by the Natal parksboard, not touristy but beautifull log cabins that you can rent and it is on the beach (if you type in cape vidal or natal parksboard you can read up on it) Ohtewise the Wild Coast sun is further south from This game reserve and the beaches are very nice for the time of year and it is all in Kwa Zulu natal except for the pilansberg which is in Gauteng. Mozambique is not developed and there is alot of poverty, do not venture there unless it is with a local person who knows the area.

It is worth having an organized tour. If you do not know south africa you can get lost and it is a vast country and the crime is as much present as anywhere in the world.

If you have any questions you are welcome to contact me. I lived in Kwa Zulu natal for 25 years and i know it very well

Regards

maritza