We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay, tours for Kruger and Cape Town questions

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to stay, tours for Kruger and Cape Town questions

We are going to be traveling to South Africa in early or mid July and we want to visit mainly Kruger National Park and Cape Town. Overall, I think we're looking at 9/10 nights in SA. The breakdown would be 6 nights in Kruger, 2 in Cape Town, with the rest left for some flexibility here and there which we would fill up once our plans are set.

As a family, we are very much into wildlife, and not just big 5 (which we would of course definitely like to see) but other things like Wild Dog, Hippo, Cheetah, and even smaller mammals, birds, and reptiles. We also however want a place that's comfortable and relatively "nice."

We have a few questions though. From the research we've done, it is generally understood that private game reserves are much more flexible, versatile, and give better opportunities to see wildlife than staying in the main park.

Is there any benefit to staying in the main park? Can certain species, like Cheetah and Hippo, only be seen in certain areas?

We are considering Sabi Sands, which definitely has a high price tag, but from the reviews it seems it is worth it. Since it is so expensive though, we're looking to split the 6 nights in Kruger between Selati and somewhere preferably cheaper. I've read Selati isn't the best place for Cheetah, and I haven't seen any mention of Hippo, so I was wondering if someone could recommend me another place (either in Kruger or in a private reserve) that would be both not so costly and have a different palette of wildlife.

We also need to find a good tour operator that can preferably give us a deal on the whole thing, including Cape Town, but there are so many so it's hard to find one. Could someone recommend a good tour operator through which we can see Cape Town and also potentially give us a deal on Kruger?

Any other comments or suggestions regarding our prospective itinerary? Any other tips?

All responses are welcome and desired! Thank you!

La Lucia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay, tours for Kruger and Cape Town questions

Are you able to change your dates? School holidays are from 25 June to 20 July and places like the Kruger Park will be fully booked. Also, from 30 May to 4 July, the British Lions are on tour here in South Africa and literally every tourist destination is booked until well into July, either by individuals or tour companies.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay, tours for Kruger and Cape Town questions

Hi Wildlifer,

I'am a travel agent in Cape Town and would love you assist you if you are interested.

3. Re: Places to stay, tours for Kruger and Cape Town questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, December 02, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question