We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cholera?

Helsinki
3 posts
Save Topic
Cholera?

I am planning to go to South Africa, to Kruger Park in March. But as it known, in Zimbabwe there is huge cholera epidemic. I have heard, that this illness is now also in neighbour countries, also in SA there is thousands illness cases.

How safe is it to travel there right now? Or is this cholera only in the SA border citys?

Have you heard that tourists also have got cholera there?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cholera?

Hi Katarina

To put your mind at rest. Cholera is not in any "city" in South Africa. The only town with any significant cases is Musina which is right on the border with Zimbabwe. Many of these cases are people who have contracted the disease in Zimbabwe and come across the border, legally or illeagally. There is a rural focus of cholera cases a little further south than the border in the Sekhukhune region of Limpopo province. This however is confined to local villages without mains water and does not affect tourist areas. The number of cases is starting to decline.

Cholera is purely a water borne disease. It is not spread person to person but only if untreated sewage from an infected person gets into water used by other locals for drinking.

In South Africa all cities, towns and the tourist areas of Kruger have treated water supplies which are every bit on par with those in Western Europe. People in South Africa with a mains, treated water supply normally drink this water directly and sales of bottled water are lower than in countries such as the UK or France.

There have been no cases of tourists catching cholera in South Africa - at least not in the press. Statistically you are more likely to be struck by lightning or gored by a rogue Elephant and, as in Finland, much more likely to be injured in a normal road accident

Mentioned in this post
Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cholera?

i was in musina on december 10, 2008. that was seven days after the article was posted on CNN:

cnn.com/2008/…

I did not notice anything odd other than many zimbabwean domestic workers heading home for XMAS. We used the cash machine and drove through town.

media hype - don't worry about it. KNP is totally safe with regards to cholera.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

Helsinki
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cholera?

Thank you for answers.

I was happy to read that. If to think it to clear mind, it is logical, but media has lot of power to create panic:)

I am looking forward to see this beautiful country.

4. Re: Cholera?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 18, 2009