We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger National Park

scotland
13 posts
Save Topic
Kruger National Park

This may seem odd....but here goes! I am researching holiday to Africa for next summer and would love to go on safari. I would not mind meeting a lion but if I saw a mouse, rat or anything similar I would die. I know they are around me here but they sort of stay out of my way if you know what I mean. Can anybody reassure me that they don't dance around you or run around freely in the national parks? My family think I am crazy but I just could't go if I thought I would be guaranteed sitings of these terrifying things.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kruger National Park

yep - planning our next trip for June 2010 - which is a little bit of a nightmare seeings its world cup and school holidays! Lodges are already booked out! CRAZY! We have to pay deposits now already! I just love the place and cant wait to get back there!!

The Sands is suppose to be really nice - a girl at work stayed there this year and loved it!

Greece sounds fabulous too!!

We booked a trip to Thailand in June 2009 so it should be interesting to see how it differs from Mauritius! The package we booked was so cheap so I figure its not really money wasted if I dont like it - and then at least I can tick Thailand off the list! lol

:)

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kruger National Park

alfdog

The Grass Mouse is rather cute - like a cross between a mouse and a chipmunk and it has clearly worked out that humans around a cafeteria = food. Sadly, despite the fact that

a) it's a National Park and

b) bins are provided

there is still some food litter around.

The mouse/mice are quite nervous but will forage around and between people feet if there's food about, although it's back into the bush in seconds if there is a sudden motion or noise. Before long it will be so habituated to people that it will eat from the hand.

I guess if you want to ignore it, then stay away from the seating area outside the cafe. There are numerous Red-winged Starling around there, for the same reasons. They're a very common species in the region but quite attractive and with a rather pleasant, fluty song.

Our web hosting company is trying to sort out the problems they created with our Galleries and if they do so soon I'll post a pic of the mouse so you can decide for your self if its "snog, marry, avoid" but here's a more soothing one of something you might find on your doorstep if staying in the Kruger.

avengerpenguins.com/v-web/…Bushbuck2

13. Re: Kruger National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, October 05, 2009