We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger National Park

scotland
13 posts
Save Topic
Kruger National Park

This may seem odd....but here goes! I am researching holiday to Africa for next summer and would love to go on safari. I would not mind meeting a lion but if I saw a mouse, rat or anything similar I would die. I know they are around me here but they sort of stay out of my way if you know what I mean. Can anybody reassure me that they don't dance around you or run around freely in the national parks? My family think I am crazy but I just could't go if I thought I would be guaranteed sitings of these terrifying things.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger National Park

We didnt see any during our stay at Elephant Plains in the Sabi Sands. I haven't heard of such things from people that stayed at sanparks lodging within kruger either. Go on safari! Its amazing!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger National Park

Don't worry the lions have eaten them all !!

Seriously, I have been going to Kruger NP and surrounding area to Game Reserves and have seen plenty of lions and elephants but can honestly say I have never seen a single mouse or rat. No doubt there are some around but you most certainly have a better chance of seeing the larger beasties than them. Even if there are any around they will be more frightened of you than you are of them and they will make sure you don't see them.

scotland
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger National Park

Thanks for the replies. I feel happier already. Lots of researching to do.

4. Re: Kruger National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 11, 2008
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,820 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger National Park

There's a rather charming 3-striped Grass Mouse that forages around the tables outside the cafeteria at Cape Point Nature Reserve. I'd link to a photo of it but our rather incompetent web hosters have lain waste to our galleries. It's a cute little thing that would possibly change your mind about rodents.

We saw a couple of Cane Rats outside the fence at Letaba Camp in the KNP in 2005. Those are the only two ratty/mousey things I can recall, apart from a couple of fleeing things in Tanqa Karoo in two longish trips to Southern Africa including 10 nights/12 days in KNP.

Lots of squirrels in the Kruger, though. They're not much more than small rats with bushy tails. Do they give you the willies as well?

scotland
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger National Park

Thanks for reply. Can you tell me about the grass mouse thing. Do they scurry about(ignoring humans) or did you just happen to spot it? I can live with the squirrel thing as long as I know what it is.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kruger National Park

The only place I've ever seen a rat in real life is in Milton Keynes - (UK).

lol. I've seen a few dwarf mongooses / mongoosen / mongees? - in the kruger. They look like rats but are much cuter.

I don't think you'll see many if any... too many large birds of prey about.

---------------------------------------

Cambalala - Kruger Park Lodge

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,028 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kruger National Park

Did self drive a couple of times in Kruger and never saw any rodents, though lots of lovely lions! I wouldn't worry honestly!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kruger National Park

Hi Bronia!

Saw your name and thought I would say hi! Are you planning any trips back to SA or Mauritius?

Hope you are well :)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,028 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kruger National Park

Hi Soraya,

Well thanks and you? Yes, we are returning to Mauritius staying at the Sands next year. Short trip to Greece October, then who knows? See what oil prices are doing then decide. Surcharges bad at moment. Emirates just added £95 in one month with threats of surcharges reaching £200 pp a possibility!

Saw somewhere you were planning a return trip to SA?

Bronia :)