We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jeeeez.... where do i start..!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
jeeeez.... where do i start..!

hi all..

i have just spent the last hour pouring over all the fantastic posts in this kruger forum..this is why i love trip advisor - the one to one information is simply brilliant!!

so.. here i am now, all be it, a little confused on where to book for my family in kruger.. i have 3 teenagers (and the wife of course!)

im not really sure what to do..!!

heres what im thinking..

we arrive at jo-burg and hire a car. make the trip to kruger (take our time along the way to stop and see whatever ther is to see..? not sure yet what it is..any adevice here>>?/) book at one of the private lodges at sabi sands. maybe mala, mala, exeter or kirkmans for 3 nights... then drive back to jo- burg..

my aim is simple for our time here

1. to let the kids see close up animals as many and often as possible

2. to experience some of the local villages and cultures first hand.

ANY HELP , HINTS, ADVICE OR PERSONAL EXPERIENCES ON WHERE TO STAY - WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

thanks in advance

stu

australia

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jeeeez.... where do i start..!

This is exactly why I got a South African travel agent. I told her what I wanted in terms of a trip and a budget range. She gave me an itinerary and we played around with it and her quote came it at the bottom of my budget range. It will really help you with this whole thing.

Also, agents in South Africa sometimes get better rates with lodges.

On another note, I do have a couple of reviews on safari lodges under my profile. The tented camp does not take children but they have a sister camp who does.

Mentioned in this post
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jeeeez.... where do i start..!

All of the lodges you mentioned are supposed to be fabulous! Lodges can get booked up pretty quickly...so I would first pick a lodge and then see what dates are available-- and plan your itinerary based on that. A travel agent may be a good idea. :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jeeeez.... where do i start..!

What time of year are you going? We took our kids to Ulusaba last year. They rate it as their best holiday ever. They do have a lovely evening at Ulusaba where the staff dance for the guests as part of the "sundowner". We also went to a village from there (though it wasn't quite what I had in mind after seeing the villages in Zambia).

We saw all the big five (plus much more, a hyena family, so fascinating) and they were so great with the kids (they were teenagers too).

We went to the lesedi village on another trip and I'm sure the kids would like that. (not sure where it is exactly but if you have a car it is in that general area). Also a Soweto tour in Joburg would be a good idea. My son was taken with the Robben Island tour in Cape Town so I guess they'd like to see Soweto and the Hector Pietersen Museum.

You must be planning more that 4 days all together, it'll take a while to get over the jet lag it's awful!! The kids will love South Africa and so will you!

Mentioned in this post
Robben Island
Robben Island
6,922 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: jeeeez.... where do i start..!

1. You might also consider going somewhere like De Wildt. www.dewildt.org.za There you can touch cheetahs. While I am generally anti wild animal petting zoos. De Wildt is and organization that does tremendous work for cheetah breeding, research and rehabilitation.

2. There are not many traditional villages left. In Transkei, yes, but I doubt you will get down there. You could spend an afternoon or a night at Lesedi. www.lesedi.com This will give you an idea of how things used to be. A tour of Soweto will give you more of an idea how things are now. The best way to experience the culture is to just talk to people.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jeeeez.... where do i start..!

Hi Stu

Also check out the site www.sanparks.org

Plenty of info. here.

Enjoy

6. Re: jeeeez.... where do i start..!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 05, 2009