We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Negatives

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
No Negatives

The weird thing about going through all these forum topics on Kruger, I have yet to find any negative comments....when usually there are plenty on any kind of open forum.

Either SA has figured out how to do "tourism" and any lodge is a GREAT experience.....???.... or just the negatives are not posted.

With so many choices I dont know if this should release my anxiety about choosing a place to stay or increase it?!

Are there any places to Avoid??

California
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Negatives

I honestly think it has a lot to do with the type of experience this type of trip is. How could someone really walk away unhappy? With the prices you pay on average at these places, I'd expect little to no complaints!!

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No Negatives

Certainly tourism is big in SA and particularly around Kruger it is very competative. Virtually any private game reserve you go to you are going to see magnificent animal close up and personal from an open vehicle. Therefore if any lodge does not offer decent accommodation they simply are not going to survive. Yes there are different standards from fairly basic accommodation to ultra-luxury with prices varying accordingly but with so many to choose from they cannot afford to let standards slip or they are out of business.

The vast majority of people go to Kruger area to see animals and it really is a fantastic experience believe me. I have seen the Big 5 many many times but to come across a leopard a few feet away, to have a pride of lions literally brushing the side of the vehicle or be approached by a very very large elephant to within a few feet is still a mind blowing experience for me.

Just be guided by the experiences/advice/choices posted on this forum and don't worry about anything else. Just get there, get up early (5 am) and your ranger and tracker will do the rest whilst you sit back and marvel !!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Negatives

Interesting question. But I understand it, and I think I can offer a couple of reasons.

For many visitors, there is the "gee whiz" reaction. The country is more developed than they expected. The lodging, restaurants, malls, even the public restrooms are maintained at a higher level of excellence than they expected. The interaction with South Africans of every color and every shade of color is warm and genuine. Owners and operators of the places we need in travel - lodges, cafes and restaurants, car rentals - they surprise us with their attention to detail and high standards. Food preparation and presentation is creative - frequently so even in the smallest cafes.

Then there is the impact that travel there has on your senses. It is a beautiful country. Mountainous in some areas, desert in others. Beaches and bush. And good road systems to take you through miles of interesting scenery. And then there are the emotions that are stirred by seeing so much wildlife, so close. Again, better than people expected.

If you come, you may remember reading this. I think you will live the experiences I have just described.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Negatives

As others have posted, I think the game viewing experience is so exciting that every tourist leaves with the feeling that they have been somewhere very special. And the country is incredibly beautiful with so many different types of terrain. I know I found that quite surprising on my first visit because it didn't match my pre-conceived vision.

Also, I think most people research their game lodge destinations very carefully before they go to make sure they wind up in a place that will provide them with the experience they want. I wouldn't be comfortable with my own personal valet 24 hours a day so I don't book into places that offer that type of service.

Tourism is obviously a huge industry in South Africa and the staff everywhere are very well trained to make your visit enjoyable. The thing that really impressed me was that I have never got a vibe that the staff were going through the motions to seem friendly - they genuinely want you to have a fabulous time and to love their country like they do. And it works. We're going back for our third trip and this time friends are coming with us because they want to see what we've been raving about. I know I will lose track of the number of times I hear them say "wow".

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No Negatives

Thanks for the information. Maybe I am over cautious, living in Dubai where nothing is genuine and its more about the "glitz and glam".

It will be refreshing to get back to nature and meet the people of SA.

Looking forward to the adventure!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: No Negatives

You're gonna love it alie2004.

I've been living in the UK for over 5 years and I can't wait to take my yearly holiday back to South Africa. - I've seen so much of the world and little makes me feel the way South Africa does. I only get so much holiday in a year and I use most of it on trips home. Not only for family but also for the country itself.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No Negatives

Thanks everyone,

Not wanting to risk anything for our 10th anniversary and who knows when we would get back to SA....I decided to shell out the extra cash and have booked Tanda Tula!!

We cant stay quite as long but should be a great experience!

8. Re: No Negatives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, October 02, 2009