We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for the single traveller!

1 post
Save Topic
Advice for the single traveller!

Has anyone got any advice they could offer me about travelling to and around Kruger on my own?! I'm a 31 year female and am heading off to South Africa in early Septemeber. I'll be on my own for a week and was thinking about going to Kruger on Safari. I have heard differing reports on this. One seems to say South Africa isn't that safe. Don't travel anywhere alone or you'll be robbed at knife point (My Mother obviously!!) and the other seems to be saying an organised safari trip is unnecessary and over priced. You'd be just as well off to rent a car and drive out there alone going looking on your own without a guide. I don't have bucket loads of cash so money is a consideration but on the other hand I'd quite like to come back in one piece and am not interested in compromising my safety to safe a few pounds! Any advice would be gratefully received!

Outlook Safaris
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Vula Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for the single traveller!

We will be in SA in Dec. and Jan. and this will be our first trip, but I've done a lot of research to get the most bang for our buck.

First, I would say you should fly into JNB, then a connecting flight to Nelspruit, airport in Kruger, to meet your safari guide. I would not recommend a self-drive because I think it would be very difficult to drive and look for animals, let alone "track" them as the guides do.

I would contact go2Africa and tell them your budget. They are really good at working with you to meet your needs. They listen to what you want and make all accommodations for safari and anything else you want. We worked with Catherine, but I believe all their employees do a good job. When we first started planning, I hesitated to tell them my budget because I felt like they would take advantage of knowing how much I was willing to spend and jack up the prices to make it come out to that amount. I was very wrong. Catherine worked very hard to get exactly what "we" wanted and got a much better price than I could get on my own for our 5 night safari. We will stay at one camp for 2 nights then fly to a second camp for the last 3 nghts.

I did book all our flights. I also made all our overnight accommodations because go2Africa just deals with certain hotels and most were more expensive than our budget would allow as we were going to be there for 22 days, total. I got online and made most bookings through www.wheretostay.co.za, which had all price ranges to choose from.

I don't really know about the safety of traveling alone when you're not on safari. I would think as long as you don't drive by yourself after dark and are cautious you would probably be okay. I'm sure someone else has better information about that than I do.

Lastly, get online and look at all the choices, there are many, do lots of reading on the travel websites such as this one, Fodor's, Frommer's, Lonely Planet and any others you can find. I would also recommend buying a good guide book, my favorite is Fodor's. Most of all, ask, ask and ask questions. Most everyone on the travel websites are very helpful and there's no such thing as a dumb question. Believe me, I've asked MORE than my share since Feb., which is when I started planning!

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Hoedspruit, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for the single traveller!

Hels -

Purrcy's point about driving at night on your own is probably a good one. If this is your first visit here, then the roads are quite different (much higher speed driving, some different road courtesies, populated by cattle and donkeys and the occasional "tired" driver after dark), so best avoided once the sun sets.

Other then that, the Lowveld offers an excellent network of good roads. Distances are far greater than the UK, so don't overstretch yourself.

SA is a big country, so the crime concern varies significantly depending upon where you are. Here in the Lowveld, we seem to have a benign environment relative to the big urban centres.

As suggested, flying into Kruger Mpumalanga Int'l and making your own way from there would not be a major hassle.

If you are economising then why not take the middle way? Rather than hire a Guide, arrange to stay in public Restcamps (do it in advance) and set up some of their activities (walks, morning/evening drives, bush braais etc). It is more than possible on a first trip to miss the richness of the bush without the benefit of an experienced Guide who knows what he/she is seeing.

The SANParks activities are reasonably priced, and will open your eyes to a wide gamut of "things" going on around you in apparently quiet bush.

Good luck

Hoedspruit, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for the single traveller!

Sorry, by which I mean that the SANParks Restcamp activities include expert Guides who will offer a rich interpretative experience (think TV documentary stuff)...

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for the single traveller!

I suggest the contacting the brothers who run wildwings.co.za - they really specialize in moderately priced safaris. And be open to joining an itinerary already in place because it is set up to take advantage of some of the economies that come with that sort of plan. Just being part of a small group that shares the costs of Guide and vehicle can make a big difference in what you pay.

5. Re: Advice for the single traveller!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, October 02, 2009