We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with travel plans

Pittsburgh, PA
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help with travel plans

Looking to spend 4 days at Kruger Nat'l Park at the beginning of October. Main interest is seeing the wildlife and not concerned with expensive luxury spa type private reserves. We want to stay inside the park and do some driving on our own, but also want to be able to do a guided game drive in a open safari vehicle(as long as their allowed off road to get close to the animals or is that just in the private reserves?) and bush walks. Thinking of doing 2 camp/lodges in southern part of the park. Do any of the camps/lodges offer these options and if so, what two do you suggest?

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with travel plans

I suggest you first look at

www.parks-sa.co.za/

and go to the Kruger setion. This is the site for most of the parks run by the SA Parks Board. Kruger has some excellent camps with facilities ranging from camp sites (take your own equipment) to ready-erected tents, rondavels (thatched, round cottages) and family cottages.

I take it you'll be having your own car for travel on the roads you're allowed to drive on and, yes, each camp has it's own open-top safari vehicle for day- and night-drives that go on the roads that visitors aren't allowed on. They don't go "bundu bashing" off-road though.

I've stayed in most of the camps and can thoroughly recomend them. The more northerly camps (Satara and above) tend to be the quietest. There's no guarantee that you'll see particular animals as they all roam freely in an area the size of some countries. I'd been there at least six times before I saw a lion and I've only seen a couple of leopards in 26 years of visits.

I would recommend the area around Lower Sabie camp for your 4 days.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with travel plans

Go to http://www.sanparks.org/forums/

There is loads of info on the forum. It is a bit slow though.

Dublin
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with travel plans

we did a similar trip around the same time last year. We stayed in the crocadile bridge camp for 2 nights then drove up to lower sabie for the last 2 nights. crocadile bridge is a small/basic camp but it just inside one of the main gates into kruger (crocadile bridge gate) so is a good place to start your trip. lower sabie is a good deal bigger - with a nice restaurant etc...

the roads to and from these camps are very active with all sorts of wilflife!

both camps have sunrise/sunset drives that you can book before you go. these are in open vericles and they travel along some roads that are normally not accessible to you in private transport.

if you are staying in crocadile brige i would recommend staying in one of the tents over the bungelows, which were smelly and dirty!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with travel plans

We have travelled to the Kruger several times on self-drives doing what you plan to do and it was brilliant. We've even had a 80 year old grannie and young child with us. I would certainly stay at two different places. Distances are huge and the speed limits low. Travel times are listed at:

sanparks.org/parks/kruger/get_there/distance…

The ecological zones change so if you want to see a variety of birds and animals plan to travel around via two different camps. Have a look at:

sanparks.org/parks/…get_there.jpg

Bush walks are a great way of getting to see things from a different perspective. Visit the SANparks site for info on booking, etc. I don't find their site slow on UK broadband and it's always my first port of call on anything from up-to-date seasonal advice on malarial prophylaxis to what's new lately. It's easy so above all - enjoy!

5. Re: Need help with travel plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, September 29, 2009