We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

I'm confused. Thornybush Main Lodge is located in Timbavati. Thornybush lodge is located adjacent to Kruger Game Reserve (from what our travel brochure states) and Sabi Sands is nearby.

What are the miles between these three parks? Since staying at Thornybush, will we be able to drive to Kruger?

I've tried to find a map that shows the 3 reserves/parks. Does someone know of a map I could study about these 3 areas?

Thank you....looking forward to our trip that the countdown to the trip has begun....ragsi

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

It is rather difficult to explain but I will try. First you must understand that the whole outer extremity of Kruger NP is fenced and entry into the Park is only through designated Gates. Secondly whilst Thornybush, a fenced private game reserve is in the Timbavati area which is adjacent to Kruger, you are talking of bush lowveld with very few roads (most of them are dirt roads anyway). You can't just drive out of Thornybush, through Timbavati and directly into Kruger.

I assume you are asking if, on leaving Thornybush you can drive to Sabi Sands. The answer is yes but it is quite a long circuitous route. I would leave Thornybush and head towards Eastgate Airport and Hoedspruit to join the R40 road ( approx 30 km) Head to Acornhoek (30km) turn there towards Manyeleti Game Reseve and go in through Gowrie Gate (50 km) and head towards whichever Lodge you are staying at in Sabi Sands. I am sure you will appreciate it is rather difficult to explain without a map. You can find plenty of maps if you 'google' Kruger NP or Sabi Sands etc. Hope that is of some help to you.

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

Thank you, somersetal....I'll try finding a map again.

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

BTW...our travel brochure states "fenceless boundries of Kruger National Park"...kinda interesting, huh?

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

Re Kruger and fences. The outer perimeter of Kruger is fenced, otherwise everyone and their cars etc could drive in and around Kruger. So entry is through specific gates at intervals along the entire length of the Park. Once inside the Park then there are no fences. Animals can roam the whole length, into Mozambique and even into Zimbabwe now if they so wish.

Kruger NP is controlled and run by SA National Parks Organisation. There are rules, like no-one can get out of their vehicle, except in designated areas. There is a speed limit within the park. You can not drive 'off-road' in private cars and also there is a curfew for private cars. You must either be back in the Rest Camp you are staying overnight in or if you are a day visitor, you must be out of the Park by 'closing time'. It might all sound 'regimented' but we love driving ourselves in and once off the tarred link roads you can drive along the dirt side roads and see no other vehicles for hours whilst, hopefully, see lots of animals in their own environment.

Obviously in private game reserves circumstances are much different when you are in the reserve's own vehicles with a ranger and tracker.

Hope that helps you get a better picture of what you can expect.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

Try the following link

cybercapetown.com/Maps/LowveldReserves/

It isn't the most detailed map but will give you an idea of things

(35) is Thornybush Main Lodge

Timbavati area is shown as is Sabi Sands with a lot of the individual lodges shown. The Klaiserie/Kapam?Thornybush/Timbavati area has dozens (literally) of lodges, as does Sabi Sands

The area shown as light green is the actual National Park. Other areas are private reserves or Concessionary areas in Greater Kruger.

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

Hi Ragsi:

What are you planning to do in Kruger? If your interest is viewing the "big five" you can see them in several of the private reserves or inside Kruger National Park. Kruger National Park is bordered by several Private reserves (Thornybush happens to be one). Sabi Sand is also a private reserve. Thornybush is located near the central part of the Park (Hoedspruit airport is close by) & Sabi Sand is located at the southern side of the park (Nelspruit airport is closer). If you fly to Nelspruit airport (called KMI airport) from Capetown or Jo-Berg, you can easily drive to Sabi Sand. The drive to Thornybush is a little longer (it took me 2.5 hours driving in torrential rain). The drive is on R40 (through Hazyview, Acornhoek). However, you can fly to Hoedspuit airport to shorten your drive to Thornybush.

If you plan to drive, you can rent a car from Avis (they include all insuarance) in the rate quoted.

We stayed at a private resort next to Thornybush called Gwala Gwala. It is luxary tented resort (fenced). We saw "big five" inside Thornybush reserve.

Hope this helps.

Dr. DD

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

Not great- but marks Elephant Plains too:

www.safarimappers.com/area.aspx?lngareaid=5

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

www.sunsafaris.com/maps/area.aspx?lngareaid=5

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

WOW..wow wow wow! Great websites...thank you.

I think what we'll do are the morning and evenings game drives with our tour. During the day....do you recommend renting a car/hiring a driver and seeing Kruger and other game reserves around THornybush?

What do people do between the morning and evening drives? I don't want to sit and read a book, I'd rather be driving around checking the areas out.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timbavati, Kruger, Sabi Sands

ragsi,

I never really understood all this either. When I first started looking to go there, I was so confused about everything. I finally threw my hands up in the air and got an agent. I figured it would be one of those mysteries in life for me.