We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to SA -- need itenerary HELP!

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
first time to SA -- need itenerary HELP!

We will be visiting South Africa from Dec. 16th - Jan. 5th. Here is our tentative itenerary:

16th - arrive in JHB and spen night

17th - fly to Kruger for 5 night safari- 2 days at one camp, 3 days at another- both private reserves to avoid holiday crowds

18th-23rd safari

24th - fly to Durban, rent a car

25th-26th - see sights in Durban area

26th - drive to Lesotho (our daughter is a Peace Corps volunteer and lives in Lesotho)

27th - see sights near where she lives

28th - head for the east coast and start driving the Garden Route

29th-31st drive Garden Route end up at Cape Town

1st - 4th - see sights of Cape Town

5th - fly back to JHB and start home

Does this sound like a feasible schedule?

Are we allowing enough time to see each area?

Is there any area we're missing that is along this general route?

Anything special we should do or see in any of the areas we're visiting?

Thanks for the info and help. I love this website. You get the BEST advise!!

Outlook Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Vula Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: first time to SA -- need itenerary HELP!

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I am also planning on returning to SA in September from London. If you need an extra planning tool for your holiday, try www.wheretostay.co.za. It has a lot of good info. Try the clickable map part on the first page. Cheers.

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: first time to SA -- need itenerary HELP!

Don't miss our Durbs or KZN because of a couple of posts - read about it and decide for yourself. There is lots to see and do if you are willing to drive yourself around.

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: first time to SA -- need itenerary HELP!

stackrat,

Thanks for the great tip!! Super amount of information!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: first time to SA -- need itenerary HELP!

The itinerary sounds great. If you go to Durban, drive north to more relaxed and beautiful areas, such Umhlanga Rocks. My only other advice is although SAA has the most flights within South Africa, my recent experience in Cape Town would lead me to use one of their other (and generally less expensive airlines). We enterred the departure terminal and found that SAA had 5-6 lines open and easily there were 500 people milling about, trying to find the lines, loud and arguing, and all with no help from the SAA staff. It took over an hour to check in. All that said, the other airlines counters had literally no one there, so check in with them would have been a breeze (this is also true in Jo'berg).

Bon voyage!

Steven

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: first time to SA -- need itenerary HELP!

Steven ,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I hope we don't have serious problems!

Anyone else out there have a similar experience???

I can use all the advice I can get!!!

16. Re: first time to SA -- need itenerary HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 24, 2009