We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we drive to Kruger

Birmingham
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should we drive to Kruger

This is our first visit to South Africa 2 of us with 2x16 years old. We will only have 3-4 days there. We would like to see a bit of the Country side and were wondering whether to have a road transfer to Kruger rather than by air. Can anybody advise us if the scenery between Johannesburg and Kruger is worth the drive? If road transfer is safe? I was told that you can be robbed on roads. Where should we stay if we want the transfer by road to be shortest and good game viewing?

Glasgow, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we drive to Kruger

Thaiida,

Given your time if money isn't really a consideration I would definately fly. It also depends where you are going. If going to southern gates such as Malelane then you can do JNB airport to Gate in about 4 -5 hours. Some of the western gates are a fair bit longer. We drove to Sabi Sands Gowrie Gate last year and it took at least 7 hours.

As for safety we have driven many times and never felt threatened but probably better to only drive during daylight.

The first 2-3 hours out of Jo'burg have nothing to see - long straight flat roads through veld with slag heaps from mines and the occassional power station the only view. Nearer the Kruger the scenary can improve drastically, particularly in the area around the Blyde Canyon, which is really spectacular. With a longer time i think it is worthwhile driving and doing a couple of days in this area in its own right.

2. Re: Should we drive to Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 19, 2009