We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling alone

northern ontario
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travelling alone

hello everyone........i have travelled cuba many times.....now looking to africa.........i am a single woman travelling solo.......advise from any seasoned travellers would be greatly appreciated....re...safety , hotels....safaris......thanks in advance

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling alone

Hello,

I've done a lot of solo travel in SA, and it's an easy country to do as a solo traveller. The roads are good so you can drive yourself if you'd like to, and if not there are quick and convenient flights around the country. People are friendly and welcoming of solo travellers.

Solo travellers can sometimes get ignored in tourist hotels that cater to big groups (this is true everywhere, not just in SA) so you may want to look at staying in some of the wonderful small guesthouses and bed and breakfasts found throughout SA. They are usually owner-run and are a great way to meet local travellers as well as internaional travellers.

One thing you may run into is the single supplement, which can be pretty painful at the safari lodges. There's one company, CCAfrica, which doesn't charge a single supplement at most of its lodges -- their lodges also have excellent accommodation, guiding, and food, so I'd recommend looking into them as well.

Cheers,

Julian

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling alone

You won't encounter any problems with solo traveling in our country. As with any other country in the world, there are obviously areas to avoid, and areas that are as safe as can be. How long will you be able to spend in SA? Depending on the amount of days, I would suggest that you start off in Cape Town & surroundings, then make your way along the Garden Route (self drive or guided tour) up to Port Elizabeth, and then end off with the highlight of your visit - the safari! I agree with the previous poster that the CC Africa lodges would be best suitable for any single traveler due to the fact that they don't charge a single supplement. Consider the following CC Africa lodges:

Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve: Exeter River, Exeter Dulini, Exeter Leadwood, Kirkmans Camp

Timbavati Private Game Reserve: Ngala Lodge & Ngala Tented Camp

Madikwe Game Reserve: Madikwe Safari Lodge

Phinda Private Game Reserve: Forest, Vlei, Rock or the newly renovated Mountain Lodge

3. Re: travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 12, 2009