We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations

Philly
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations

I've been advised by a medical university specializing in travel to other countries that the following are recommended if traveling to South Africa/Kruger National Park: Hepatitus A & B, Typhoid, Polio and Tetanus booster as well as a malaria prescription. This seems to be excessive. Please advise if you think all of this is necessary.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations

Don't know about Hepatitis B, never had that one before. All the others we keep up to date as a matter of course and as Hep. A, Tetanus and polio can last up to 10 years, it is not a problem. Typhoid jab lasts 5-10 years. All except Hep. B are the normally recommended ones, personally I would follow the professional advice but if you wish to just choose particular ones then definately have Hep. A and Tetanus. Really it is up to you to decide. Malaria prophylaxis I would definately recommend, I always take Malarone and have had no side effects from this.

Seattle
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations

Just had mine done as well....all the ones that were recommneded for you were the one I received.

The person we are traveling with only had Hep A & B & Tetnus. She agot the Malerone scrip as well.

The typhoid is an oral vaccine and the malaria preventative are pills.

I felt that the Hep A & B were good to get regardless of traveling or not. And I have not had a polio booster since the 1950"s....I was one of the first group to get that vaccine and had heard that it was a good idea to be re-immunized.

Limpopo, South...
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations

There was a poloi-scare in Namibia about two years ago, that is why your advisor suggested a booster. (Very simple, just a dab of some or other fluid in the mouth and you are ok for years to come!)

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations

I agree with all of the above. Check the CDC website. I did not get Hep. B as they said it was only advised for healthcare workers, any one coming in regular contact with blood, or if you had/have sexual contact with an indiginous person (I was none of the above).

It was also recommended to bring an RX of Cipro in case of travelers diarhia, we brought the Cipro, but did not need it. :)

You have to remember that you will be coming in contact with alot that your body has no natuaral amunities built up for.

Most of these precautions will last you many years, always better safe than sorry, especially with your health.

5. Re: Vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:33 am, September 06, 2009