We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Kruger

Illinois, USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in Kruger

Does anyone know what type of weather to expect in Kruger in November? Probably Sabi Sands area. I am looking for a couple of safari camps or lodges but need to know what type of weather to expect and whether or not we would need air conditioning at that time of the year. Thank you!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Kruger

Hi there! During November you will definately want accommodation with air conditioning! The days can be very very hot at that time of year. If you budget allows for it, consider one of the lodges in the Sabi Sands that have private plunge pools at the rooms. These plunge pools are a great bonus during hot months like November! Which lodges have you been considering?

Illinois, USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Kruger

I was hoping to avoid the air conditioning. How hot is hot? Is it humid in November? I like the "natural" Umlani concept as well as Nkorho and Akeru lodges. Perhaps 3 nights at a classic safari camp and 3 or 4 nights at a lodge with air conditioning might work. I was trying to keep the price under 3000 zar pppn.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Kruger

November can be extremely hot and humid, depending on whether or not the rains have started to fall. If it does rain, it will normally be a thunder shower in the late afternoon, which would cool things down, but ofcourse the build up to the rain would make it very humid. If I remember correct, Nkorho has fans in the room. This could at least offer some relief to the heat. Many tourists go to lodges without air conditioning during our summer months, and still have a great time. Personally I would want air conditioning in November, but when it comes to handling the heat, I suppose we're all different! I do a gree that a combination of a "more basic" lodge with a more luxurious lodge could work well!

Illinois, USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Kruger

Perhaps I had better rethink my timing. If the weather is hot and humid (uncomfortable) in November, why would it be high season in the park? Are there other reasons for designating high season? Would October, January or February be a more comfortable time for the park in tented or non-air conditioned lodgings? Thanks!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Kruger

All of the months that you mention fall within our summer months and will be hot and humid. By far the majority of private safari lodges, as well as Kruger National Park's accommodation all have air conditioned rooms, making the summer months in the bush bearable. One of the reasons why it is high season, is that the bush is lush and green and the scenery is breath taking. Many of the animals will have given birth to their young, so you'll get to see plenty of "animal babies"! The birdlife that time of year is also prolific.

If you definately don't want air conditioning for a part of your trip, i would urge you to consider doing your safari in our winter months which are May - August.

Illinois, USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Kruger

Thanks very much for your info. It may seem odd to have an aversion to air conditioning, but in this area we have our windows shut almost year around to keep out either the freezing cold in the winter and the rest of the year to keep out the heat/humidity. So sleeping with the windows open is a luxury for me. I'll need to reconsider the type of accommodation for the trip. Thanks again!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Kruger

we went September and it wasn't too hot; did'nt need A/C.

8. Re: Weather in Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 04, 2009