We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Best Kruger Safai Experience

New Delhi, India
1 post
1 review
Help - Best Kruger Safai Experience

My wife and I are planning to travel to South Africa during September 2018. We plan on doing 3 days and 2 nights safari in Kruger. Can you please suggest if we should book our safari in KNP through safari operators providing us with classic safari option either in Skukuza or Pretoriuskop. Else we can book our accommodation in some private game reserve including 2 or 3 game drives over the duration of our stay.

The primary idea is to witnesa African wildlife, so need suggestions on the best bet for experiencing that in September 2018.

Our overall safari budget is around USD 1200

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Abhinav

5 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Help - Best Kruger Safai Experience

There are quite a few private lodge options for your budget , haven’t checked availability but it would include accommodation, meals and 2 game drives daily.

Sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
323 reviews
2. Re: Help - Best Kruger Safai Experience

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g31…

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
3. Re: Help - Best Kruger Safai Experience

Hire a car, self drive, book accommodation in the SANParks rest camps..... nothing better IMHO, and most "budget friendly"!

Edited: 7:51 am, August 05, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Help - Best Kruger Safai Experience

September 2018 is in 25 days... you'll have to hope the popular spots have cancellations as my guess if they'll be booked out...

Also depends on how many people are travelling as to how your budget will work..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Help - Best Kruger Safai Experience

If you have a chance, I would suggest that you add another day at kruger. I stayed 4D/3N in Kruger and thought I should have had an extra day! I think 3D/2N will make you feel wanting for more! Sanparks camps are very reasonably priced and very comfortable too, but not luxurious. They have self catering options plus the larger camps have full fledged restaurants too. If luxurious accommodation is not a priority, then there's no need to go for private lodge.

As others have mentioned, self driving is very easy in KNP. If you stay in South Kruger, the animal density is so high that you have reasonable chances of good sightings even if you are on your own (i.e. on self drive). Rental cars are easily available at all airports serving KNP.

I have experienced both self drives and game drives conducted by private safari operators. Private game drives, although expensive, do have some merits over self driving IMO. Someone else drives for you so instead of holding the steering wheel, you can be holding the camera and panning around for animals. The game drive vehicles are customized for best viewing (high clearance and large windows/openings for viewing). Also an experienced driver/guide can add to your experience. They have a communication network and get alerted on sightings.

In case you do not wish to self drive, there are a number of private operators operating out of nearby towns (eg. Hazyview) who conduct full day game drives and can arrange pick up/ drop offs from Sanparks camps if you are staying there. If you wish to opt for private operator's game drives, I suggest you stay at a camp close to a gate (eg. Skukuza) as the private operator's vehicle can enter the park only after the gates open. If your camp is far from the gate, it means that your game drive starts that much later as the operator needs time to reach your camp from the gate. Likewise, the operator has to exit the park before the gates close and your drop off time will factor this into account.

Sanparks also conducts game drives. I recommend only their sunset and night drives (because you have no other options as private vehicles have to leave the park (or get inside the camp perimeter) before the gates close around sunset. Sanparks conducts drives in larger (& noisy trucks), plus the quality of their guides is inconsistent. Nevertheless, do take Sanparks sunset and night drives, in particularly sunset drives as that is a great time for game viewing.

Reply to: Help - Best Kruger Safai Experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted