We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kruguer park, camp shonga????

madrid
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
kruguer park, camp shonga????

Hello

We are going to south africa next august. We would like to stay 3 full days in kruguer park. We heard that the campsite of the park are really busy. We are thinking about staying in a private concession. Someone from a travel agency recommend us Camp Shonga but we are not sure if in this area there are many animals or not. I also read that rangers did not go off road.

Could anyone tell me a good camp?. Do you think it could be better try to rent a car and sleep in a camp of the national park or if we can afford paying a little more a private concession is the best?.

Any advise will be very wellcome.

Many thanks

Alicia

Mentioned in this post
Camp Shonga
Camp Shonga
66 Reviews
Kruger National Park, South Africa
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

Hi Alicia. Camp Shonga is a beautiful camp. However, the information you received about the rangers not driving off road is correct for most of the lodges in private conessions in Kruger. My advice to you would be to rather go to a game lodge in the Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. (This means that there are no fences between the Sabi Sands and Kruger.) Eco tourism is still very new on the private concessions within Kruger (like Shonga), and the animals aren't quite habituated to game viewing vehicles, etc. yet. In comparison, eco tourism in the Sabi Sands has been going for many years, and the animals (including animals like the elusive leopard), although still wild, are extremely habituated to having game viewing vehicles near to them.

Of the more affordable options in the Sabi Sands are: Elephant Plains (standard accommodation the cheapest option), Nkorho (no air conditioning in the rooms though), Djuma Bush Lodge and Inyati (on the banks of the Sand River). All of these mentioned lodges offer excellent game viewing and will be well worth the money spent.

To rent a car and sleep in one of the Kruger camps would be a good experience, but if you can afford to pay more, I highly recommend a private game lodge where your accommodation, game viewing activities and meals will be included in the rate. These lodges also offer the advantage of excellent rangers who can educate you about Africa and the animals while you are on game drives. Definately well worth spending that extra money!

Feel free to ask more questions if you need further advice.

Mentioned in this post
Camp Shonga
Camp Shonga
66 Reviews
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Geneva Switzerland
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

We were in Kruger last week, which was a busy period because it was South Africa school holidays. Nevertheless, we did not have trouble finding accommodations in park lodging, which was reasonably priced and well-maintained. We stayed at three of the large rest camps, Berg en dal, Skukuza and Olifants, of which I would recommend Olifants. We went on a few guided game drives and one guided walk, but were actually more successful spotting wildlife simply by driving a rented car and pulling over and scanning with binoculars. You will see so many animals at Kruger on your own that it does not make sense to put up with the contrived artificiality of private game reserves, which are essentially large animal farms. If you are interested in a different experience, I would recommend reserving time at a "Wilderness Trail' in Kruger, rather than staying in rest camps. You can easily make all reservations for independent travel on the exceptional SANPARKS website.

Mentioned in this post
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

I'm afraid I don't agree with the previous poster. Yes, you will see many wonderful animals in Kruger, but you will see so much more at the private lodges adjacent to Kruger. As explained previously, the Sabi Sands forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park - there are no fences between them and Kruger, so the Sabi Sands is not merely a "large animal farm"! The animals are free to traverse between Kruger and the Sabi Sands.

You will be traveling far to get to South Africa, so my advice would be to maximise your safari opportunities by going to a private lodge where the animals can be followed off road and you will have the services of experienced rangers and trackers. Also, in the past the private lodges used to focus merely on the big 5, but this is changing. While they will always still try to show the guests the big 5 in a 2 to 3 night stay, the rangers also focus a lot on other animals, birds, trees, starts, etc. Truly a worthwhile experience!

Mentioned in this post
bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

There is nothing artificial about the private game lodges. They are part of the greater Kruger Park with no fences between them so animals can traverse freely.

With great respect toward one of the previous posters who is negative about the private lodges, but have you been to a private game lodge before? At the private lodges, you have great accommodation, cuisine and facilities, coupled with the personal attention of a ranger and tracker who should be able to give you a mind-blowing wildlife experience!

Don't get me wrong, I love the national park and go there a few times every year. It has cheap, clean and comfortable accommodation and if you are lucky, great game viewing.

madrid
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

Dear All

many thanks for all your answers.

So, in sabi sand lodges cars go off road for sure??. the thing is that

I want to see the maximum of animals but I do not want to bother them as I understand kruguer is their land not mind.

I was thinking also about trails but I am a "city " woman and I am terrified about the snakes so I do not know if in august I can came across with many snakes if I do a trail.

Thanks very much for all the information, I will have a look in private lodges of sabi sand.

I would like also you give me som advices. We are arriving to Johanesburg 12th august and we are leaving the country the 26th august, that means that we have 15 days. We are thinking about going to Cape town , visit the city and also drive to Hermanus to see the whales. The thing is that we are all very keen of wildlife. we wouldk like to stay 3 full days in kruguer park, then we are thinking about visit the main national parks in natal area. I do not know if it is better to rent a car in Durban and go to Kruguer, In the way you can visit 2 or 2 national parks and game reserves.

If You were mine. How will you plan your trip to southafrica( 15 full days).

Many thanks for the advice.

There are so many things to see that I am very confused.

a big hug

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

Hola!

You are planning a great trip! In the private reserves they do go off-road, but this is with you as a passenger in an open game viewing vehicle, not your own vehicle. I can almost gaurantee that you will see all of the big 5 UP CLOSE if you go to one of the private lodges for at least 2 nights.

madrid
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

Dear All

today I was talking to a woman who know africa very well. She told me something which make me feel very uncomfortable. She says that in mayor private games in southafrica hunting is also allow.

Can anyone check if in sabi sand or anohter one near the kruger park hunting is allowed?. I do not feel like supporting a game reseve where animals are killed for fun.

can any advised me?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,336 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

I agree with servos

We too rented a car, prebooked our accomodation via Sanparks and stayed 2 nights at berg en dal, 2 skukuza and two at lower sabi, and we saw everything ten times over; lions with a kill, leopard, atc. Many south africans stay at the campsites, which provided bungalows for a fraction of the price of the overpriced private lodges. The atmosphere was fabulous, they have supermarkets on site, restaurants, and do night drives with local rangers. Save your money, and book with sanparks. I returned to south africa four times, so its not the trip of a lifetime; its very accessible, with reasonable air fares and hotels throughout the country.

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

Re: Hunting in the reserves:

A couple of years ago it came to light that some landowners (not lodge operators) in the Timbavati Reserve were still hunting on occasion.

This caused a major outcry, especially because the Timbavati is part of the greater Kruger Park, with no fences between Kruger and the Timbavati, thus allowing animals the opportunity to freely traverse.

The SA government has banned all hunting in the reserves adjacent to Kruger.

So you can rest assured. No hunting is allowed in either the Sabi Sand or Timbavati Game Reserves! These are reserves committed to eco-tourism.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
90 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kruguer park, camp shonga????

We spent three days/two nights in Kruger, with one night at the wonderful Olifants Camp and one night at the very decent Skukuza Camp. We saw most of the big animals and thoroughly enjoyed the park. The major benefit of the private operators/lodges, is that you are sure to be the major five. We did not see lion or cheetah, but enjoyed seeing everything else in the park. We used the sanparks website to reserve the rooms, and book a night drive (great). I was advise anyone to spend 1-2 nights at Olifants, and that Skukuza is a fine stop with all the amenities, but lacks charm and coziness. Enjoy!