We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Private Lodge in November!

Duisburg
Level Contributor
4 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Private Lodge in November!

Hi all,

I would love to get some ideas for a lodge with good game viewing possibiliteis and nice accomodation.

We start in Hazyview (Hippo Hollow) for two nights, then want to spend two nights maybe in Thornybush if this makes sense and then have booked two nights in Sabi Sand "Simbambili Lodge" before continueing our journey.

Do you have any ideas whre we can spend these two nights? Our budget is max. R300, less would be nice.

It's my first time in South Africa so I need some help :-)

Thanks a lot, Kirsten from germany

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Private Lodge in November!

Hi Kirsten,

The way I read your message is that you have booked two nights

at Hazyview (outside Kruger National Park). Then you have two nights free where you are looking for a private lodge. After that you

have booked two nights at Simbambili Lodge.

R300 will get you nowhere. Did you not perhaps mean Euros 300?

I assume it is for two persons?

Need a little clarity.

Thanks.

Duisburg
Level Contributor
4 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Private Lodge in November!

Sorry, of course I mean R3.000 per person per Night!

Thanks for your help Kirsten

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Private Lodge in November!

Hi

You have a lot of choice for R3,000 per person per night !

My recommendations would be :

An Executive Room at Inyati Private Game Reserve, situated in the southern part of the Sabi Sand Reserve. Inyati is set on the curving banks of the Sand River, and is renowned for its excellent service, accommodation and game viewing opportunities. Regular sightings of hippo and crocodile along the lush river bank, or herds of elephants enjoying an afternoon bathe, can often be enjoyed from the large wooden viewing deck

Thornybush Game Lodge, in Thornybush. Thornybush Private Game Reserve comprises of 11,500 hectares of fenced prime game viewing bushveld, and is home to the Big 5 as well as a variety of other African wildlife.

Tanda Tula, in the Timbavati Game Reserve. The 60,000 hectare Timbavati Game Reserve shares a common unfenced border with the Kruger National Park allowing animals free range over 2 million hectares of African bush, and ensuring guests to the area have the opportunity to view the huge diversity of wildlife that Africa has to offer. This lowveld area of wood and grassland is home to Africa's Big 5 (lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and buffalo) as well as many more species of predator and antelope.

Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga Lodge, on the private Imbali Concession, which is set on the banks of the Mluwati River in a private 18,000 hectare unfenced concession in the heart of the famous Kruger National Park.

Each of the above will give you a different experience, and you will certainly return home with hundreds of photos !!

Hope this is useful,

Tracey

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Private Lodge in November!

For that budget you could also consider Elephant Plains luxury accommodation or one of the Djuma lodges. I strongly recommend that you try to do another lodge in the Sabi Sands, as this is where you will experience the ultimate safari!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Private Lodge in November!

Hello,

I agree with Africadirect -- the Sabi Sands is the place to be for the best game-viewing. From a practical standpoint you'd also save time and money on transfers since you're already in Hazyview, which is the closest town to the Sabi Sands but isn't that close to Thornybush or the other more northern private reserves.

What time of year are you travelling? If you're travelling in the low season (June-September) you'll have a wider range of options within your budget.

Cheers,

Julian

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Private Lodge in November!

And since you are already staying at Simbambili, I would stay in the Northern Sabi Sands, as you would have to drive all the way around the reserve to get to Inyati or any of the lodges in the South. I would agree with the suggestion to try Elephant Plains luxury rooms.

Alternatively, try a lodge in the Timbavati for something different to what you are getting at Simbambili. Perhaps I can recommend Motswari Game Lodge - the bush is quite different here to the Sabi Sands, and the game viewing, accommodations and hosting are excellent. If a walking safari appeals to you, you can also try Ngala Game Lodge in the Timbavati. That way you are getting some variety in your safari experience.

Have fun - it sounds like a great trip you have planned!

Wishing everyone a happy and safe Easter Weekend!

7. Re: Looking for Private Lodge in November!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, August 29, 2009