We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa Honeymoon Recommendations?

Bermuda
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa Honeymoon Recommendations?

Hi all, We are thinking about a honeymoon in South Africa for August 2007. We love wine and wild animals. Grrr! Please share your recommendations with us on hotels, wineries, safaris. We are thinking of about 14 days in total (give or take a few days). Our initial thinking is to fly to Capetown to recuperate, see the penguins (the inlaws) table mountain, eat great food (recos please) and drink good wine. We don't know much about South African wines so please share some reco's there too. Then we would like to go on a Safari hopefully to see some of the big 5. Please advise whether you think it makes sense to a) rent a car b) book a package of air/hotel/safari or to book them separately. Thanks for taking the time to help us.

Enda/Tiff

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa Honeymoon Recommendations?

Hello,

If you like wine and wild animals, you're in the right place!

Since you enjoy food and wine, I'd definitely recommend spending some time in the Winelands. The best source for information about South African wine is the Platter Guide. You can access the online version on http://www.platteronline.com or buy a hard copy when you arrive -- it's full of information on wineries, including award-winning vintages, tasting room opening hours and fees, and which ones have restaurants on site. There are some great maps on the website which can be used to help you plan your route.

Many of SA's best restaurants are in the Winelands, and you'll be spoilt for choice if you stay in Franschhoek. I'd definitely recommend The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais, as well as Haute Cabriere and La Petite Ferme for lunch.

For your safari, the best game-viewing is in the private game reserves adjoining Kruger National Park. You can fly directly from Cape Town to Kruger Mpumalanga Airport in Nelspruit, and from there catch a light air transfer or road transfer to your game lodge.

It's hard to make specific lodge recommendations without knowing more about your budget. I've stayed a range of different places in the Sabi Sands, and personally I'd recommend Mala Mala, Londolozi, or Singita for the best game-viewing experience. I've had superb experiences at all three, and the choice depends on your focus. For hard-core game-viewing, Mala Mala is the best option; Londoz offers a more rounded safari experience and Singita combines first-rate game-viewing with the ultimate in luxury and service.

http://www.malamala.com

http://www.londolozi.com

http://www.singita.com

I'd recommend renting a car in Cape Town and the Winelands.

Many people book their accommodation (hotel and safari) + internal flights and transfers together but book their international flights separately.

Assuming your 14 days includes flights to/from Bermuda, your itinerary might look something like this:

Cape Town x4

Winelands x4

Safari x4

If you have 14 days in Africa you could add a day to Cape Town and to the safari.

Cheers,

Julian

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa Honeymoon Recommendations?

Hi there! Thank you for choosing South Africa as your honeymoon destination! Julian has given you some great advice on safari lodges. Personally I don't think that Mala Mala offers the best game viewing, although their game viewing is excellent. For a very romantic and exclusive safari honeymoon experience, I would recommend a lodge like Exeter Leadwood Lodge. Leadwood is an intimate lodge built on the banks of the Sand River. The Sand River is an animal magnet, and guests have often been treated to great views of lions, leopard, elephant, hippo, buffalo and many other animals from the safety of their private viewing decks. They only have 4 luxurious suites, catering for a maximum of 8 guests at a time. Each ultra-luxurious suite has its' own private plunge pool. The staff are excellent, as at all CC Africa lodges, and they will tend to your every need. The managerial couple, Andrew and Nicolene are always present and will ensure that this is a honeymoon of a lifetime!

An added benefit is the fact that Exeter Leadwood traverses on one of the most game rich areas of the Sabi Sands. Guests are often treated to up close and personal views of all of the big 5 on every drive!

Other great honeymoon destinations are Leopard Hills, Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge and Djuma Vuyatela Lodge. All depends on your budget! Fortunately August is low season, so you'll be sure to get some good discounted rates if you shop around!

Good luck with your arrangements and feel free to ask as many questions as possibel -the more information you have, the easier your decision will be!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa Honeymoon Recommendations?

Hi

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at Djuma Vuyatela a couple of years back. I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on this page gardkarlsen.com/djuma_vuyatela_safari.htm . I'm sure you will have a wonderful time in South Africa. It is a country that has a lot to offer :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa Honeymoon Recommendations?

Winelands, Try and over night it somewhere in maybe Stellenbosch or outlying vineyard (major chillout and scenery). Avoid Spier if you want non-touristy experience. A day trip from Capetown won't do it justice and they'll just take you to Spier.

Definetely rent a car and travel from Stellenbosch to Franschoek, Vineyards not to miss: Delaire( the best view anywhere in the winelands), Tokara (lunch?), Boschendal. All (as most in SA don't need appointment and you'll be warmly welcome, with abosulety no need to have any wine knowledge, extremely relaxed affair).

In Franschoek, Rubins for food, Stonybrook vineyard (one-to-one experience very welcoming and personal (we sat in their lounge feeding our 10wk old baby!)

Many options in Capetown itself, however to do it justice can recommend hire guide and transport for the day (you get all the info and questions + inside knowledge on whats worth seeing and whats not (you decide) If he's still around try (Gary Flynn, www.cape-town-discovery-tours.co.za) we've used him twice + 2 others on our recommendation . John Platters guidebook on wine worth buying (google-it) - $20 ish & just pick vineyards you fancy!

5. Re: South Africa Honeymoon Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 31, 2009