We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger & Cape Town Honeymoon Aug 2007

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Kruger & Cape Town Honeymoon Aug 2007

Hello,

I was wondering what to pack and how much to pack for my honeymoon this August. We will spend 5 nights at safari lodges (Ngala Tented and Exeter River Lodge) and 4 nights in Cape Town and the winelands. I'm somewhat confused about the weather, I understand that it is winter there, but from what I have read it is much colder in Cape Town than in Kruger National Park. I tend to overpack for trips and there is a luggage weight limit so I am in need of advice!

If anyone has recommendations on wine cellars to visit around Franschhoek (Lanzerac Manor) and things to do in Cape Town (I am a huge penguin fan so Boulder's Beach is already on the list!) we would really appreciate it as well! Also, we are only staying one night in Johannesburg but if there is any great restaurant we should eat at for dinner please let me know.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger & Cape Town Honeymoon Aug 2007

I forgot to add that I heard it rains a lot in August... is this true for both Cape Town and Kruger??? What should I take for the safaris in case of rain? Thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger & Cape Town Honeymoon Aug 2007

Hello,

Don't worry about rain on your safari -- it will be the dry season in SA except for in the Western Cape. In my experience, the rains in the Cape tend to take the form of afternoon showers rather than all-day drizzle, and you have a good chance of sunny clear days as well.

The area around Kruger (including your two private reserves, Sabi Sands and Timbavati) will be warm and dry during the day but may be a bit nippy at night and in the early morning when you are doing your game drives. In terms of clothes, think in terms of layers -- you may start off in the morning wearing a windbreaker and fleece with a hat and gloves and end up in shorts and T-shirt as the day warms up.

Safari camps do laundry daily so you really can get by with very little -- personally I tend to bring two (or at the very most, three) of each article of clothing (shirts, trousers, etc).

In Cape Town, you might enjoy seeing the whales at Hermanus -- you can see them from the shore and they do come quite close. I'd also recommend a visit to Robben Island and to the top of Table Mountain. Do a tour of Bo-Kaap and learn about the Cape Malay community, and finish off with a delicious Cape Malay meal at the Cape Colony or Cape Malay restaurants.

If you're serious about your wine, it's worth buying John Platter's guide to the wineries of SA (http://www.platteronline.com). You can subscribe online if you prefer to plan in advance, or pick up a hard copy when you arrive. It's the SA wine bible and is full of information on award-winning vintages, tasting room hours, tasting fees, and vineyard restaurants. If you're there on a Saturday, the sparking wine tasting at Haute Cabriere is recommended -- not only do you get to taste some nice bubbly but the winemaker will demonstrate the art of sabrage (opening a bottle of bubbly with a sabre) -- a skill every true gentleman should have.

There are so many great restaurants in Franschhoek you'll be spolit for choice. I'd definitely recommend trying Ici or The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais. The seafood restaurant at Klein Oliphantshoek is also excellent.

In Joburg, it depends what sort of food you like. Sides is very hot and happening, and serves fresh seasonal cuisine which is simply but elegantly prepared. The restaurant at The Saxon hotel serves superb Afro-European cuisine.

One place I'd avoid is Linger Longer. I ate there recently and found that neither the mediocre, uninspired food nor the stuffy service encouraged me to linger, longer or otherwise.

Cheers,

Julian

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger & Cape Town Honeymoon Aug 2007

Thanks a lot Jasher!

4. Re: Kruger & Cape Town Honeymoon Aug 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 28, 2009