We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Choice Safaris v Safaris booked in Kenya

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First Choice Safaris v Safaris booked in Kenya

I am trying to find out whether to book a beach + safari holiday with First Choice or book the beach holiday with First Choice and then book a separate safari once out there. Whats the best for someone whose not been to Kenya before? Does anyone know what the vehicles are like on safari with first Choice - are they jeeps or minibuses - open or closed tops - are you guaranteed a window seat etc? We are ideally looking at a 3 night safari - how much are they to book when you're out there - this will be a holiday of a lifetime for us and really want to do it properly. Are you safe to book safaris out there I have heard all sorts of stories about breaking down, getting sick etc. Any help you can offer would be great!! Thanks.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Choice Safaris v Safaris booked in Kenya

Hi Jennbo,

first of I suppose that you mistakenly have gotten into the wrong forum, but nevertheless (this is South Africa Forum, not Kenya), but maybe I can help nonetheless.

First of all, I cannot say anything for first choice, or whether it is better to book a safari ahead with them. As for booking Safaris from Kenya itself, I would warn about booking a safari from a tout/hawker on the beaches north or south of Mombasa. I stayed in Diani Beach in 1999 and remembered that every tout was keen to make money regardless of the harm they are doing this wonderful country as a whole. Back then my ex-girlfriend's father was the manager of one of the more upmarket hotels in Diani Beach, and he has thouroughly warned us of those tours. Always book with a reputeable agent or maybe through your hotel.

As for a safari - Tsavo, although home to the big 5 and all big African mammals, is known for "their endless spaces", translating into a low game concentration. Nevertheless, if you have the money I heard very, very good things about "Finch Hatton Lodge" in Tsavo. The Masai Mara should be much better for game viewing. I remember my first safari there, and the sheer amount of animals I saw there was almost surreal.

The best and most romantic holiday experience I had, so far was "Governor's Camp" in Masai Mara!!! Look it up on Trip Advisor - they were the 3 best days of my life. The Masai Mara, and Governor's Camp in particular, is even better than any scene from Out of Africa come true. Everyone I met who has also been there (quite a few by now), said the same thing about it - this place is absolutely stunning and a once in a lifetime experience. I flew in from the coast, and the safari itself was really expensive, but I guarantee you will not be diappointed!! Service reliability are world class.

I don't know if "First choice" offers it, but if you want the best safari I personally can think of, try to get to Governors' camp.

Kruger N.P. in South Africa should also bve in the same class, but I havent been there.

P.S. if you choose to go to Govenors Camp answer this post, even in a year or so, and tell me what you thought about it. I cannot think of anything other than "amazing".

2. Re: First Choice Safaris v Safaris booked in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 21, 2009