We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Limpopo

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Limpopo

My daughter is considering joining a volunteer program in Limpopo. As I know nothing about this area, I am a little concerned about her safety. I have to admit, I am concerned about stories of violence towards foreigners. Is this an over reaction.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what it's like there?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Limpopo

I can only speak as a tourist (annual visits for the past 12 years). We have never had a single problem safety-wise. We find South Africans to be extremely friendly and helpful. As a matter of interest, where did you read these "stories of violence towards foreigners"? Perhaps it would set your mind at rest if you did a "Search" under "safety" and read the hundreds of posts on the subject, I would guess some 99.9%, many of whom had the same concerns prior to their visit, say what a wonderful time they had in a fantastic country.

Polokwane, South...
Level Contributor
46 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Limpopo

Where in Limpopo is the program? Limpopo is quite a large province, with lots of small towns scattered about. The only major city is Polokwane.

I moved here from Cape Town, and I can tell you, it is very safe. I didn't have a car when I initially moved, and felt 100% safe walking around during the day, and taking public transport. When you walk, you will notice that everyone that you pass will greet you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Limpopo

She is looking at volunteering at the Tshega Mission in the Letsitele region. Does anyone know anything about it?

4. Re: Safety in Limpopo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, November 18, 2015