We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makhado/Louis Trichardt(advice needed from people from SA)

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Makhado/Louis Trichardt(advice needed from people from SA)

I realise this isn't exactly in keeping with the "trip" advisor idea, but I was wondering if people wouldn't mind giving me some advice.

After my husband to be an I are married, he's been offered a move to South Africa in Makhado. We don't have to say one way or another for a long time yet, but I want to make sure we've done our homework before we go back to them with a yes or a no.

Can anyone give me any information on what this area is like? We're used to being expats, and I've spent most of my life in the Middle East. To us, it sounds like a good opportunity but I would like to hear from those of you from, and living in South Africa what you think of the area and South Africa as a whole.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makhado/Louis Trichardt(advice needed from people from SA)

I am afraid I am not exactly the kind of person you were hoping to hear from, I am not south african and do not live in Makhado but I have been there and know people who have been living there for a number of years.

It is a very quiet provincial town where one can live very peacefully .

It has good supermarkets, nice houses and little crime compared to bigger cities.

If you are interested in the arts it is a very dynamic area with the Elim craft route, the Ribolla art route etc... all around Makhado you can visit and meet many great artists, the Venda country is well known for music, crafts and art.It is also really beautiful, hilly and green.

If you decide to go I suggest you look at the website of Madi a thavha (just google that name), it is a wonderful place where you could stay while looking around before getting settled, they have bed and breakfast rooms or short term rentals self catering.Madi a Thavha is run by a dutch couple, Marcelle and Aart who are extremely friendly and helpful and I am sure they would be delighted to tell you about living there and what pitfalls to avoid.

I know there is a small european community there, and yes, it does sound like a grat experience to me, I would definitely do it!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Makhado/Louis Trichardt(advice needed from people from SA)

Not a bad town. Nothing of architectural significance. But not ugly.

Plenty of shops. They have just built more.

Not a cultural hub, but there will be plenty of movie houses to absorb American culture, if you need it.

You will find a lot of the common franchise restaurants that are all over South Africa. They serve good, if slightly unimaginative, food.

Good weather. Warmer than Aberdeen :)

It is 1 1/2 hours to Kruger (Punda Maria gate). A huge plus in my book.

Most people's first language will be Venda, Shangaan (? not sure of this) or Afrikaans. English is probably a fairly common second language though.

It is close to Zimbabwe. You might not think this is a plus, but Zim is on the road to recovery. It will be back on the tourist routes in the next few years. (Fingers crossed)

You will be able to support the Bulls, the current Super 14 champions.

3. Re: Makhado/Louis Trichardt(advice needed from people from SA)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, March 10, 2010