We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

Which Umhlanga Rocks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Piacenza
Level Contributor
474 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

Hello, we are preparing a visit for next August in Kwazulu-natal. We will stay 2 days at Ithala Game reserve, 2 days at Tembe, 4 days at S.lucia and the last 4 days somewhere ( to be decided ) between St.lucia and Durban. For the last 4 days on the coast we would like to stay somewhere in order to relax, walk on the beach and as it will be the period of whales, also make some sea excursions. What about Umhlanga...or Umdloti beach ? We will be 3 adults, not interested in night life, but good restaurants !

Thank you.Elisa

27 replies to this topic
Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
255 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

Umhlanga is good for restaurants or look at travelling 120kms South of Durban and there on the South Coast you will find many beautifull beaches and a good choice of places to eat out.

Shelly Beach is a good central point with shops and restaurants and that is where the whale watching boats depart from, other lovely areas are Ramsgate and Southbroom.

Oribi Gorge is well worth a day visit.

Piacenza
Level Contributor
474 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

thank you ! we would not travel south of Durban, as we will have to come back to johannesburg for the flight. We want to stop somewhere near Durban but in a quiet area.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

Hello and you have made some good choices there. I have stayed in each of the places you are going to. I have not been to Ithala for a while though. For whales the best place is St Lucia. I have been out with Advantage Tours and had a great trip! You could consider staying at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi. before heading south. I have found Durban and Umhlanga to be quite commercial but have enjoyed staying in Durban recently. Another option could be to drive inland from Durban and have a couple of days in the Drakensberg Mountains. this is en-route to Jo'burg airport. Flights from Durban to Jo'burg are another good option when booked well in advance. I contribute to web site that you will find useful when visiting KZN. www.safarikzn.com has loads of free information & reviews.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

I agree with mark, particularly in August and would stay at Hluhluwe-Imflozi rather than Itala. The last time we were there in August it was chilly with early morning mists. The landscape is beautiful but the game viewing is not as good as H-I. Is there a particular reason for your choice?

Remember that August is winter season in SA and many of the resorts on the coast will be quiet. I assume you have a car so driving a short distance to restaurants will be OK. I understand why you would prefer the north coast as it will cut an hour (or two max) off your final journey back to Jo'burg. Remember the winter can bring rain and cold, windy weather. If you stay at Umhlanga there are plenty of wet-weather things to do without having to travel too far.

Piacenza
Level Contributor
474 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

We will absolutely visit also Hluhluwe-Imflozi ! We saw that the park is not too far away from St. Lucia . As we will arrive from johanneburg airport we decided to stay in Ithala in order to make a stop before arriving to Tembe.

Probably it will be better to stay in St. Lucia one day more as there are a lot of things to do. Concerning Drakensberg mountain it would be nice to stop there during our trip to Johannesburg. I suppose that in August it will be cold ? Mark how was ith the whales whatching with Advantage Tour ? Do they use a normal boat ? We will be with my husband mother and she is 70 years old and I don't know if this will be suitable for her !

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

I had a great time whale watching and if you visit my web site you can read a review and see pics there. There is also a link to Advantage Tours. It was not a big boat when I went out as it launches from the beach through the surf. But please check with them and see what they say. You could always take a look at what they do then decide for yourself. They run daily trips so if there for a few days you will get on one. They also run more leisurely estuary tours to. Have you considered flying into Durban or even Richards Bay? Its close to 7 hours driving from Jo'burg to Ithala and in August days are short. We have found it works out quite good value if booked well in advance. The weather in the Berg in August can be cold. I have been there the last to winters on short breaks and really enjoyed it up there. Its generally very dry though there is a chance of snow. Thats why maybe you should consider flying in and out of Durban via Joburg. If I can help in any way please ask. There is a lot free information at www.safarikzn.com

Piacenza
Level Contributor
474 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

thank You Mark, yes we have considered also to flight to Durban but we would prefere to rent a car from Johannesburg ( cheaper solution ). This year we did the same for visiting Kruger and as the roads were good without traffic it was a pleasure to drive, even if the distance was big. Very interesting the site You suggested, a lot of solutions...it will be very usefull.

I would like to see the picture and your review on your website...where can I find it ?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

Hello and as you have been to SA then you know what the roads and distances are like. Pleased you like the web site. Under safari articles please look for 'Viewing Africa's Biggest Two'. I have more images on my pc to. There are plenty though on the Advantage web site to. If you need any info on KwaZulu Natal please ask.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

Your stop at Itala makes more sense now. we have done the same in the past to break the journey to Durban. We have also stopped off at Natal Spa for a spot of R&R. We enjoy the driving although we sometimes fly through to Durban. Next july we will definitely be going by road.

The Draks can be cold. Last year snow blocked the main road through to Jo'burg. My first hiking trip 20 years ago was postponed because of snow and ice too. However, at lower altitude think tshirts and shorts during the day.

Piacenza
Level Contributor
474 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?

snow ?!?!? ops I will have to consider to change the road to Johannesburg. In order to avoid the eventual problem of snow/ice the road through Standerton, Vryheid can be OK ?

Reply to: kwazulu-Natal park reserves and sea..where ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Umhlanga Rocks