We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out of date car hire licence disc

Which Richards Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peel, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Out of date car hire licence disc

On the 26th Sept Until the 16th Oct I hired a car from a well know car hire company whilst on holiday in Richards Bay.

On the 12th Oct, I was refused entry to a National Nature reserve because, as was pointed out to me the Licence disc on the car ran out on the 30th Sept. I was extremely embarrassed and also quite frightened at the time. Then I began to worry about the validity of my insurance policy should I have had an accident and the consequences of what trouble I would be in. I immediately rang the telephone number I was given in case of any problems but it was a Sunday and I was put through to an automated answer machine. I then emailed the hire company and got a reply saying I must get in touch with their office in Richards Bay where I had picked it up from. Eventually I got an email on the 15th Oct asking me to return the car so that the could replace it. By this time I had stopped driving the car and had resorted to going on private game drives. On my return to the Airport the next day, I was told that it didn't matter about the Licence disc being out of date, in South Africa you could drive for up to 21 days on such a disc.

As far I am concerned I thought failing to to display a valid licence disc made the car unroadworthy and unfit for hire. Please could anybody verify this for me.

3 replies to this topic
Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
392 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Out of date car hire licence disc

No, the 20 something day rule does apply. I am extremely surprised the national park refused you. I have never seen anyone other than the police check

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out of date car hire licence disc

Correct, afaik, one has 21 days grace after expiry of the licence disk. If not renewed during that time, penalties will be incurred.

In a lifetime of visiting game reserves ( private, national and provincial), in South Africa (and Namibia), both in my private, and in my professional capacity, I have never had a game reserve official ever check the licence disk !!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out of date car hire licence disc

That should not have been the case, because as the above also mentioned it is valid for 21 days and that would have given you the right to enter with the vehicle. But maybe the security/officials was not from South Africa and did not know that.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Reply to: Out of date car hire licence disc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Richards Bay