We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near richards bay

Valparaiso...
3 posts
Save Topic
Hotels near richards bay

We are going to SA in oct. for a 6 day safari I won at auction.we will leave 3-4 days early to spend some time on indian ocean and hopefully go to st.lucia national park.any ideas on quaint town on beach not too far from park?any ideas on activities nearby? We are couple in our 40's with 6 year old daughter.thx

7 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels near richards bay

The Saint Lucia Wetlands Park, now known as the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, has at its southern tip the small town of Saint Lucia (tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g312636-Saint_Lucia_…) which has great accommodation options and plenty of activities (including a lovely beach) - you should hire a car though. Also consider the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife rest camps within the park, which you can research on http://www.kznwildlife.com . Note that the Mfolozi Hluhluwe park is close by too. Richards Bay on the other hand is a modern industrial port city with aluminium, ferro-chrome and titanium smelters, paper mills and the worlds largest coal export terminal!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels near richards bay

Two thoughts - I helped clients in May who needed to stay overnight at Richards Bay and they used Aristo Manor - www.aristomanor.co.za - and it was terrific. But clients who traveled just a few weeks ago stayed right in St. Lucia using a timeshare they had, and they were at Perna Perna. Worked great for them. http://www.pernapernast.co.za/

This company - http://www.heritagetoursandsafaris.com/ - handled some tours and transfers for the 2nd family, and I highly recommend them.

I call them 'clients' - but for all of these arrangements, I just helped them both find what they needed. They booked directly and you should, too.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 9:50 am, August 07, 2012
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels near richards bay

There are quite a few hotels in the Meer En See area of Richards Bay and you would never guess that you were close to a large industrial and port complex.

We stayed at the Bayshore Inn and it was very comfortable.

However if your main interest is the St Lucia area it would make sense to stay near there since it is a fair journey from Richards Bay and 6-year olds suffer from 'Are we there yet' syndrome.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels near richards bay

Hello and I would recommend St Lucia, its a lovely spot with everything you will need. Good accommodation, places to eat & drink plus the ocean. There are activities on the sea & estuary to. May I ask where you are going on safari? I contribute to a web site that you might find useful thats dedicated to KwaZulu Natal. www.safarikzn.com.

Valparaiso...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels near richards bay

thx for info on st.lucia area

Valparaiso...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels near richards bay

thx for info on st.lucia area.i won my safari to zulu nyala at an auction in the states

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels near richards bay

Ah ok, well enjoy, its in a lovely area. Take a look at www.safarikzn.com for ideas on what to do and where to stay. If you need anything please ask. Have a wonderful trip!

Reply to: Hotels near richards bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted