We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive Hluhluwe

Which Hluhluwe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive Hluhluwe

Hello,

Hope someone can give me some advice?

We are staying 2 nights near the Hluhluwe game park.

Is it nice to do a self drive over there?

Do you have a good chance of seeing lions?

What is a good route?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

Hluhluwe Imfolozi is an absolutely great place for self-drive. Great Game viewing as well as lovely gently hilly vegitation covered landscape.

There are Lions (we saw two on our last visit a few months ago) although not as many or as easy to see than in Kruger NP but it is the very best place in the whole of South Africa (probably the whole world!) for white rhino viewing. This is where the species was saved from virtual extinction some 50 years ago. You are certain on self-drives to get within a few feet of many magnificent animals. Black Rhino are also quite common and you will probably see Elephant, lots of giraffe and a wide variety of Antelope including the rare Nyala. The Bird Life is also spectacular.

Personaly I would always stay in the park rather than outside. there are two main choices. Hilltop camp in the Hluhluwe section is a lovely camp with quite luxurious bungalows with every facility. It also has a quite reasonable restaurant with lovely views over the hills and valleys. The alternative is Mpila in Imfolozi which is a more rustic camp with lovely safari tents. You will have animals right next to your tent (on stilts!) at night. No restaurant but all the tents have kitchen facilities. Both camps are fantastic value.

Maybe even one night in each camp?

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

Somebody just recently mentioned that they were there in September and saw the wild dogs ( a rarity) .

www.kimssouthafrica@blogspot.com

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

Hello,

Thank you both for the answers, sounds really good.

Accomodation is all ready booked; Bushlands game lodge, outside the camp.

The question was just about safari in the park; organised or self drive.

In Kruger we have all ready organised, so i thaught it would be fun to do here the self drive.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

We went to Hluhluwe for the day from Bushlands in our own vehicle and there was plenty to keep us busy. However, the queue to get in was a bind and it was very busy at exit time as everyone headed out.

As you said, you'll have been to the Kruger so then it's time to try your newly honed tracking and game spotting skills. Stop off at Hilltop camp to look at the sightings board for that morning. Call in at the animal auction boma to find out about capture/relocation auctions. Visit the adjoining craft market. Potter across to Imflozi to enjoy the wilderness.

Mkhuze is also close to Bushlands.

UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

I found the information very helpful here. It gives me courage to self-drive on my first safari. We will stay two days in the game reserve.

My only worry about self driving is that car hire companies are not crystal clear about the consequences of driving on gravel roads. Do you know anything about the implications for insurance?

I wonder if it is worth to supplement the self-drive by a guided walk or a night drive. Would be glad to hear from those who have done different activities and can comment on how they compare and differ.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

Excellent question. We just returned from Hluhluwe and sustained a small crack on the windshield due to gravel flying up from the road. The rental agency was Thrifty at Durban airport and we took the standard cover (which excludes windshield damage). Will update as soon as we find out how they are going to handle it.

Umhlanga Rocks...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

Hi there, we were at Hilltop a month ago. We are used to driving ourselves and would do it no other way. We saw a large buffalo herd near the camp and many elephant. Please be very careful if an elephant approaches your vehicle. Always back up and make sure there is enough room between you and the vehicle behind. Mostly they are not intending to harm you but they do test your resolve and are sometimes a bit cheeky.

Our friends in another car saw a magnificent leopard and a pack of wild dog.

We went on the night drive but it was disappointing.

Ask the place were you are staying to pack you a picnic lunch as there are some lovely picnic sites.

UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

We will stay overnight in the reserve. Therefore I thought that we need to bring our own food if we don't want to opt for the restaurant at the Hilltop Resort.

1mouses1, did you get any packed lunch and if so where from? How long did you stay in Hluhluwe?

Umhlanga Rocks...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

We were there for 2 nights in a self catering 4 sleeper chalet. We ate one lunch at the restaurant which was good, but the rest of our meals we ate "at home" or packed our own food to eat at the picnic spots.. I think you can buy bread/rolls and fillings to make your own picnic from the shop at Hilltop, as well as drinks etc. Not sure if they will pack you a picnic hamper though.

Are you self-catering or non self-catering.

Edited: 9:39 am, May 24, 2011
UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self drive Hluhluwe

I think we are in for the self-catering option.

The reviews about the Hilltop restaurant are not the best ones.

I read a few reports about elephants charging cars.