We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

Which Hluhluwe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

I'm struggling to find a camping spot somewhere close to the most western gate of Umfolozi (Cengeni Gate) or Ulundi. Can anyone help?

For the eastern side, or near Memorial Gate, I found Hluhluwe Backpackers (reeaally laid-back email responses, not sure what to make of them, but ideally situated 2km from the gate) and Isinkwe Backpackers (more organised, better first impressions but 30km from Memorial Gate).

Has anyone used either of these two places and would you recommend it?

I feel that we should stay 2 nights on the west side to explore Umfolozi, and then 3 nights on the east side to explore Hluhluwe - do you agree, or is it easy enough to explore the total park from the Memorial Gate?

Many thanks!!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

If you are older and don't want to do the backpackers thing, I would suggest camping at Bonamanzi. It is a 4000 hectare game reserve, although it is more for birds than game. There are 2 nice hides on the property. There are only 6 campsites, in 2 different areas, so it is a lovely quiet place to camp.

www.bonamanzi.co.za

I don't know if there are campsites close to Imfolozi. St Lucia town is probably the closest place. We drove from Bonamazi to Imfolozi, but it did make the day quite long.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

PS: If you are remotely interested in birds:

We stayed at Bonamanzi in campsite no 6 and had an African Broadbill calling and displaying within 10 metres of our tent.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

Thanks Lamlee... looks like a great place.

I don't really mind the backpackers "thing"... (although I guess we qualify for being a bit "older"... 33 and 37 ??) but thought to try and camp as close and possible to the park, as that is our main reason for the visit and am only looking for alternative accommodation because you can't camp inside Hluhluwe-Umfolozi.

Hmmm... maybe we should do 1 night there anyway!

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

Have booked 2 nights there... thanks for your advice. Can't wait!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

Hope you enjoy it

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

Wow, it's a wonderful place. Camping spots were huge, and very private. Bathrooms super-super clean. Service at reception excellent. Great value for money at R80pp.

Thanks for referring me!

We had impala in camp (once they did a mating display and calls), saw red duiker for the first time in our lives, saw plenty of nyala - not much other game but the peace and tranquility was great.

We did move after 2 nights only to be closer (Hluhluwe Backpackers, 2km from Memorial Gate), but would not hesitate to go back and refer people (lots of other accommodation also available, like tree houses).

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
4 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

How did you find the hluhluwe backpackers? Did you camp or did you stay in the hostel? I am thinking of staying in the campsite!

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

We camped. Felt like the local zulus out on the kopjes...lol. The terrain is sloped but not too bad at all. Grass very soft so tent pegs went in super easy. And came out super easy : ( lots of wind during the night so make sure you secure the tent well (could be seasonal?). There is a little shower block at the camp site which needed a bit of TLC (one toilet out of order; one shower leaked all night), but I'm hoping that's fixed by now. Another bathroom in the main house which campers may also use. Nice pub/vibe.

Super friendly & helpful staff. Location, location, location was great.

Kitchen facility was good and I was very happy to see they have a waste recycling effort going there.

9. Re: Camping around Hluhluwe-Umfolozi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 24, 2009