We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone done a walking safari in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
110 posts
308 reviews
Has anyone done a walking safari in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi?

We are debating doing the base camp 4 day walking safari and would like opinion from people who have done it. I can find very little about it. Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Has anyone done a walking safari in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi?

There's a great review on Safari Talk for the Primitive Trail.

A few people I have recommended it to have LOVED it but they didn't review it here. It is very highly regarded, excellent rangers, you go to areas that are not accessible by vehicle and it is about as wild as you can get. If it's something you are interested in, you really should.

But the Primitive Trail is not for everyone. The Base Camp Trail is similar but not as difficult. And probably better option for most of us. :) If you can, DO IT!!

safaritalk.net/topic/…

Edited: 4:13 pm, May 23, 2018
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
110 posts
308 reviews
2. Re: Has anyone done a walking safari in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi?

Yeah I am not really interested in the primitive one, seems too rugged for me...I would like to read reviews on the base camp. I want to do it but other people in my group do not. So I wanted more information that I can share with them.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Has anyone done a walking safari in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi?

So try to talk them into one of the shorter ones. I wish the last person who did Base Camp had done a review - it was the highlight of their trip. But if you need to talk them into it, I’m not sure it’s the best option for you. Maybe a full day walking safari, or an overnight, might be a better option for you. Contact the lodges in nearby Manyoni Reserve to ask if they can arrange one.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
471 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Has anyone done a walking safari in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi?

One of my colleagues just to work for a travel agency specialized in Africa and she recommend doing a walking safari there. She said it would be a highlight.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Has anyone done a walking safari in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi?

Hello and I have done a base camp trail and this year in July I am taking part in a primitive trail. The hardest part is the booking process! What sort of things do you need to know? I know information is limited but you don't need to know too much.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Reply to: Has anyone done a walking safari in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted