We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Guide Book Recommendation?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Travel Guide Book Recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a good travel guide book for the Zulu Nyala area? First time visitors to South Africa. Fodors? Lonely Planet etc?

5 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Travel Guide Book Recommendation?

I haven’t found one yet.

Are you set on Zulu Nyala? It’s a very small reserve with limited wildlife diversity. So many great reserves, parks and lodges in all budgets nearby.

This is a good place to start. http://www.zulu.org.za. Please avoid human/wildlife interactions. It never ends well for the animals.

If you share your interests, approximate budget and timeframe, we can help. KwaZulu Natal is my favorite part of S Africa - lots to do and see! So pretty much anything you want to experience is likely available.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Travel Guide Book Recommendation?

Hello and Lonely Planet is quite good but I no longer have an up to date one for South Africa. The best book I found for reference is called "Kwazulu Natal: A Celebration of Biodiversity, Jacana Media". Its out of print but there are some for sale on line. Otherwise just search for info as above. I know a great web site to!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: Travel Guide Book Recommendation?

I am going to Zulu Nyala for week. I've ordered a used copy of National Geographic Traveler South Africa. I love their books!

Here is a link for one. or just google it,

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/national-geographic-traveler-national-geographic/1114504032/2672893059090?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Catch-All,+Low_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP212586&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8q5j5yX3AIVlIuzCh12_gbcEAQYASABEgLZR_D_BwE

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Travel Guide Book Recommendation?

A week in Zulu Nyala is a very long time. Small reserve, limited wildlife but in a beautiful area. There will be very little info about the area around there in that NatGeo book.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
82 reviews
5. Re: Travel Guide Book Recommendation?

Probably so but this upcoming trip has lead me to want to learn much more about SA and with a game run each morning & evening, a few day trips and chilling time with a good book, friends I may meet there, hanging out on the veranda enjoying the views, our week will fly by !!! If I see the same giraffe & elephant every single morning, every single evening I'll just pinch myself that I am really seeing them and whisper I love you. :) Truly. Boredom will not be an option. It's exciting. :)

I

These Nat Geo traveler guides are really good.

Reply to: Travel Guide Book Recommendation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted