We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6month old baby on game drive

1 post
6month old baby on game drive

Hello.

We are going to South Africa in Feb 2018 and would like to spend a few nights at a game lodge and do some game drives but we will have our 6 month old baby with us and can't seem to find anywhere who allows children or at least offers babysitting facilities whilst we are out on the game drives. Does anyone know of any child friendly options near Durban or Joburg (would like to see the big 5) Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
1. Re: 6month old baby on game drive

Hire a car and self drive (IMHO the best way of viewing game anyway).

That is the only way with a kid that young, unless you can find a babysitter.

Please don't fixate on the so called "big five". That is an anachronistic hunting term, from days of yore, when the brave(?), so called "great white hunters" were decimating Africa's wildlife.... the five "most dangerous species to hunt on foot"..

We have hundreds of impressive, interesting, beautiful, dangerous, fascinating species.... enjoy them all, whichever you are lucky enough to see, big and small.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: 6month old baby on game drive

Hello and an option as above would be to rent a car and explore a few reserves by self driving. Otherwise check out the lodges in Nambiti Pvt Game Reserve. I am sure that Springbok Lodge offers baby sitters.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: 6month old baby on game drive

I will be interested on the outcome of your research. I am planning a trip to Kwa Zulu next year to include some game drives, this time we will have a baby of around 12 months with us.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: 6month old baby on game drive

The lodges in Nambiti I think mostly offer babysitting services. None will allow an infant or toddler on a game drive unless you book a private vehicle - even then, most responsible rangers won’t because kids are unpredictable. Even if it’s not on the website, contact them directly about hiring babysitters - the lodge staff can usually accommodate if you ask.

Try Zulu Nyala, Thula Thula, or stay in the regional parks and drive yourself with no restrictions and easier schedules for kids.

There are also a few self catering (but include cooks, rangers and staff) lodges in Manyoni. So just buy your food and drink, bring it with you and they will prep and serve. Try Zebra Hills, Bayette Zulu - both allow kids but you need to book the whole place. Both have a small and large camp/lodge to rent. It’s surprisingly affordable. Just let them know you’d need a sitter.

Or Phinda has the Homestead or Zuka for sole use. Great option (at a price). Fully inclusive.

Reply to: 6month old baby on game drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted