We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zulu Nyala; driving & self planned side excursion questions

Chapin, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Zulu Nyala; driving & self planned side excursion questions

Hi all:

My 24 year old son and I are headed to Johannesburg, arriving 8-10. We plan to pick up a rental car, spend the night and head out to Zulu Nyala the next morning. I'm comfortable with driving (hubby insists on an automatic though) but wonder if buying the extra insurance is necessary, and if so, is it less expensive to purchase at the counter. My reservation is with Avis and insurance bought now in US$ increases cost by almost 60%. Also, anyone have experience with the St. Lucia Hippo and Croc boat tour or the Hluhluwe iMfolozi safari? And any recommendations for a hotel in St. Lucia? Our plan is to cut the Zulu Nyala stay short by two nights and go to St. Lucia since the safari tour departs at 5AM. Anyone have an opinion if the Hluhluwe iMfolozi safari is worth the extra expense of two nights in St. Lucia?

My son is a grad student and can only get away for a week, so this is a super fast trip. We return to the states from Johannesburg on 8-18 and we want to pack in as much as possible. Any recommendations are highly appreciated!

Linda

Chapin, SC

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Zulu Nyala; driving & self planned side excursion questions

You arrive 8-10 am? I'd drive part way to ZN the day of arrival It's a long drive. You'd have to leave very early to arrive by lunchtime.

You can do Hluhluwe-iMfolozi on your own. No need for a tour. It's a great park. Hilltop camp is nice with a restaurant and services. See www.kznwildlife.com for info and booking. Spend a night! HiP is pretty far from ZN and St Lucia - a day tour is a lot of driving to/fro. ZN doesn't have predators (and I'm not sure if any elephants) so you must visit HiP! And a full day/night gives better chance of seeing them than a day trip.

If you're staying in St Lucia, you don't need a tour. Just book it through your hotel. The Hippo/Croc cruise is fun. There's lots to do in town. We stayed at nDiza. Kingfishers is nice, as well as most of the guest houses. Do you need a kitchen? Some have fully equipped kitchens and there's a grocery store in town. See www.stlucia.co.za for more options for guest houses and activities. Definitely do the drive (on your own) to Cape Vidal. My favorite drive anywhere. Do all the turnoffs, take lunch with you and take your time. It ends at a gorgeous beach - and then you get to drive back!

You need med/evac insurance unless you have a policy that covers you outside the US. Check www.insuremytrip.com for options. I put $0 in the trip cost if you don't want to insure the travel. There you can get a policy that adds extra car rental insurance. If you're ok with just the included rental ins on your credit card, just add the med/evac. Only you can decide if it's necessary. But med/evac is necessary any time we travel.

Or if you have an Amex card, the premium car rental insurance is a great deal. $25 per rental. I do that with a med/evac policy from GeoBlue. That combo the best deal I've found with a preexisting condition.

Have fun.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
114 reviews
2. Re: Zulu Nyala; driving & self planned side excursion questions

An does have predictors, saw one jag and two leopards. Three elephants are in the preserve also. But cutting it short is a great idea and moving on. Consider a tour in Phinda , great lion viewing!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: Zulu Nyala; driving & self planned side excursion questions

ZN I mean, not An

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Zulu Nyala; driving & self planned side excursion questions

A jag? There are no "jags" in S Africa. Great you saw leopards.

Chapin, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Zulu Nyala; driving & self planned side excursion questions

We arrive on August 10th (8-10), but late in the evening so we will need to spend the night. Thank you for the info!

6. Re: Zulu Nyala; driving & self planned side excursion questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, November 12, 2018