We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durban D/E's

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Durban D/E's

Does Durban only have ONE D/E - proudlysaDurban. I posted 2 questions and none of the answers have come from local Durban/Umhlanga nites. I am very surprised as a D/E myself that i am getting such poor response. Thanks to those that have responded.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durban D/E's

Maybe they're too busy fishing / surfing / eating Bunny Chows, to bother with tripadvisor ;-)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
5,745 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durban D/E's

Hello divacape,

Unfortunately, while TA membership and forum support is growing rapidly these days, its still remains true that a good number of forums don't have enough expert support! Hopefully the DE pool will build up for Durban and many, many other forums that need additional expert support. Lets hope the expert community continues to grow to provide sufficient coverage of places like Durban.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Durban D/E's

Many of the self promoters provide good info, but from what I can see they aren't being made into DEs. I recommended about 6 users a year ago as DEs for SA and various areas within it, but only 1 of them was made a DE. The others all promote a B&B, website, company etc I notice.. Perhaps this rule should change?

I am not surprised that most DEs don't post here often, looking at the cyclical nature of most queries!

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Durban D/E's

I'm the only DE for the whole of Zambia, and there are a number of African countries with no DEs at all. Botswana used to have some but they seem to have disappeared, so it looks like Botswana now has none. I nominated someone for Malawi the other day.

I wonder if TA is getting stricter about allowing tour operators as DEs, but there are still a couple of TOs who are DEs for Tanzania.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Durban D/E's

How does one become a DE without fear of being accused of profitable self promotion?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Durban D/E's

One gets recommended. The easiest way not to self promote (if you feel there is a conflict of interest), would be to not mention ones own site or business. Personally I have no issue with people listing their business in their signature, as I have learnt loads from these sites and have loads of B&Bs on the list now!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Durban D/E's

Its certainly not a problem when D/E's say that they are tourist guides or own a "safari company" or "tour operator". It becomes a problem when these D/e"ks are so obvious in recommending their own B+B's or themselves as a guide without saying who they are. We had so many C.Town D/E's and mow some don't bother to respond anymore. As D/E's we hardly ever get thanked - we only get criticised so I do understand why some D/E's leave. I just thought that being a D/E myself that some d/E's would have the courtesy to respond to me

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Durban D/E's

Thanks and I added my SafariKZN name as I was fed up with all those 'owners' who seemed to continually self promote their businesses. Then there are those who just cut and paste the same elongated information without any punishment.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Durban D/E's

Those "owners" who sign with their name or establishment name are supposed to do so, so the reader can take the comments from where it comes. No need to be fed up with them.

Most give generic advise and those who really promote their business (other than the signature) are reported and deleted pretty soon.

If I imagine that the very same people giving general advise would stop doing so from a local knowledge point of view, we would have only foreigners left and a lot of details could go missing.

If you want punishment, just report those post as self promotion or spam. It has been very successful in the past and a good regulator.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Durban D/E's

and also the regular contributors, not only the DE's, hardly ever get thanked for their input.

That's unfortunately how life and these forums work. Something we need to accept if we are passionate about what we are doing.

But yes, some contributors unfortunately loose their passion for the very same reasons (best example VdC).

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview