We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durban Vs. CapeTown

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Durban Vs. CapeTown

Hello.

How dos Durban differ from Cape Town in terms of:

A. Social attitudes

B. Culture

C. Climate

Thanks

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

To the rest, my apologies but I get really steamed when some up country folks try to make Cape Town a non African city.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

I have lived in both cities ( Durban for 11 years and CT for longer) and Cape Town without a doubt would be my choice. I prefer the climate, the diversity of culture, the winelands, and the scenery.

Durban is hot, humid and tropical. Cape Town had a milder, drier, more Mediterranean style climate. Durban is much milder in winter.

I am not fond of Durban's beaches - the sand is golden rather than brilliant white, but the water is warmer for swimming. That's a personal choice.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

We love Capetown and the Garden route and always felt safe there whereas we had a couple of dodgy moments in Durban and were glad to leave but we may only have been unlucky.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

What dodgy moments did you have in Durban out of interest?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

Cape Town is a very sophisticated city like Sydney and the people are more sophisticated and friendly more used to dealing with foreign tourists and their demands. There is plenty to keep a tourist busy for few weeks there. However from a tourist's perspective Durban is richer in diversity of cultural activities. One can visit Shakaland and learn about the Zulu culture, can sample bunny chow and curry and learn about the Indian influences, can explore game parks.

Downtown Durban is a scary place to walk around particularly after dark but if one sticks to the tourist areas there is generally no problem as there are plenty of police to move on troublemakers. Durban is beautiful and verdant with rolling hills whereas CapeTown is drier and very flat (except for the winelands).

I found Durban more interesting but it may be because CT is similar to Sydney, my hometown.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

Thank you so much for your post... i spent a year in SA (joburg) and am originally from DC (USA). my wife and I have been contemplating moving to capetown or durban and as african american (me) and wife british, we have been encouraged to move to capetown if looking for western experience in africa or move to durban if looking for an african experience in africa. I was fortunate enough to spend time in both cities and in terms of culture, social and entertainment, Durban was way way ahead. Im not saying capetown is not a beautiful city, far from it, ts gorgeous but as an african american man i did not feel that comfortable there as much as i felt in durban... I will not get into the race issues etc because this is not the forum for that. But overall i enjoyed both cities. Plannin on durban move with the family in a few years

2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

I would say CBD for CBD, its obvisously CT as it is cleaner but there is a vibe in Dbn that cannot be explained but experienced. As for the cities (urban) ad whole I would lean towards Dbn. I hear people saying Dbn is not that pretty, there is no mountain, but the hills, rivers, dams and trees compensate. Upper highway area (Kloof, Hillcret and parts of Inanda) and Shongweni. Also the beaches are diverse in the north, Umhlanga towards Ballito and the South. All in all, people must not rely on what is "adevertised" I could go on and on here...

2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

I would say CBD for CBD, its obvisously CT as it is cleaner but there is a vibe in Dbn that cannot be explained but experienced. As for the cities (urban) ad whole I would lean towards Dbn. I hear people saying Dbn is not that pretty, there is no mountain, but the hills, rivers, dams and trees compensate. Upper highway area (Kloof, Hillcret and parts of Inanda) and Shongweni. Also the beaches are diverse in the north, Umhlanga towards Ballito and the South. All in all, people must not rely on what is "adevertised" I could go on and on here...

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

The first post summed it up quite a lot about the climatical differences. I live in Durban and personally hate it, Cape Town is muuuuch prettier, much safer, and much more tourist friendly. I find the atmosphere in cape town completely different to durban and safer, you can walk around and even use taxis! Durban is, however, close to game reserves like Phinda, Hluhluwe, etc. If you choose durban (don't) make sure you stay in umhlanga :)

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Durban Vs. CapeTown

Hello and just to say, airporteuphoria, please be very careful when you use terms like 'much safer'. You need to read the facts, though I appreciate they can be misleading and used in negative ways.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN