We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Durban??

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, MA
1 post
Save Topic
Safety in Durban??

Hi,

I am a college student travelling to Durban this summer for an internship. I'm hoping someone here can give me insider advice about safety in the city, because all of the other websites I've checked gloss over this topic. Is it safe in most areas for a young female to walk alone during the day?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

durban
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Durban??

Hi no some areas I would not walk alone as a female.

The best is to find out where you are staying and the people will give you advise on the serounding areas.

Like all big Cit there is dangerous areas and you should always be aware of your safety and dont take for granted you are safe just because you are walking in a good area.

Its an amazing City and you can have a good time.Give me the area jou are going to live in and I can give you more info.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Durban??

I agree, it really depends on the area you are in. Some places are fine - especially the ones with lots of people around. But dont walk anywhere at night, or anywhere where there arent people around.

To avoid being a victim I suggest not dispalying too much jewelry, your cell phone, ipod or camera. These are things that can be eaily stolen and resold.

Always be aware of who is around you, especially at vunerable times like when you are drawing money at a bank machine.

The best advice you will get are from your fellow students who live in Durban. But dont be put off - South Africa has a high crime rate, but no worse than a lot of places. Most people are victimised when they let their guard drop. Just be on the look out, act confident, and you should be fine.

Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Durban??

Hi elizabeth,

im also heading to Duran this summer to work in an Aids orphanage with young kids..

i've been very fortunate to get speaking to someone face to face who lives around the corner where i am staying and he was telling me all about the place.. its like anywhere, it has its crime and stuff like that but the people apparently are really friendly and love to see new faces...

im irish myself and i cant wait go over there.. im going the end of may for 10 weeks... he was telling me the cost of living is next to nothing and the night life and stuff is buzzing so it should be an amazing expereince!!!

if you need anymore advice or info, feel free to email me!!!

Otherwise, have a great time!!!

Ryan, Ireland!!

Durban, South Africa
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Durban??

I have lived in Durban (in a local township) for 30 years. It is reasonable safe if as previously stated you don't walk alone at night especially in the quieter parts of beachfront area. Bigger shopping centres are generally safe. Be careful of groups of woman 10 or more in a street and always walk in and out of shops frequently in case someone is watching (or stop and look at your reflection on shop windows). I used to visit the city centre frequently as a teenager and worked in CBD for a number of years. Don't be paranoid but take common sense precautions.Enjoy your stay !!! The day hours and evenings are generally safer.

Durban, South AFRICA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Durban??

The city is safe and veryf riendly welcome I'm also would be at Durban these Summer if you need some advixe or someone to accampany you I'll be at there. At first I was scared with the city of Durban but when I came to Durban I relised that Durban is beautiful than asked my parents if i can be ablt to study ay one of the University in Durban, luckly they agreed, I'm at Durban as I;m advicing you. My email address goes as follows 205515843@ukzn.ac.za

Take care

Soton England
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Durban??

Whilst on Durban seafornt we had difficulties. A chap tried to persuade us to come and see some sort of presentation in a hotel on the front. He wouldn't take no for an answer. Promised us riches etc. Gave us a ticket and yes we won a prize, that sort of thing.

Found the whole episode a bit scarey. Would not go out at night alone!