We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel money for South Africa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
travel money for South Africa

We are Australians travelling to South Africa in a month. Have tried all the local popular banks to get a travel card in Rand however no one supplies them Can anyone Australians who have recently travelled to South Africa advise on the best methods of taking money. It has been suggested we get an Australian Post travel card with A$ on it and just withdraw from ATMs. Would prefer a card already in Rand to get exchange rate locked in, however, this may not be possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel money for South Africa

We just use our normal Visa debit card when we go and withdraw from ATMS or use EFTPOS.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel money for South Africa

Hi there

The best suggestion i can give is to make use of your VISA debit and credit cards. All of our ATM's do accept them and also most of the restaurants and stores as well. For the odd time where you need cash, just withdraw some.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Rochdale
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel money for South Africa

I would have thought the cheapest, and safest, way would be to take travellers cheques. If Oz banks are anything like in the UK they will fleece you for using debit/credit cards for withdrawing cash!

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
29 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel money for South Africa

You can bring your plastic cards/debit card/american express .e.t.c have no problem with them.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel money for South Africa

@andycat: haven't used travellers cheques in Africa for a decade and don't think hardly anyone else does either. Haven't found the fees for using our cards to be prohibitive at all (we are Australian).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel money for South Africa

Whoever uses travellers cheques?? I haven’t used them for>30 years. Very difficult to exchange anywhere in Aus – and probably in Africa too.

We always just use our normal credit and debit cards. Though recently I have obtained a 28degrees Visa card which does not attract foreign exchange fees.

When we went to Africa last year I loaded it with cash and then used it as debit card. Paid not one cent in fees in the 9 countries we visited.

7. Re: travel money for South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 am, June 20, 2013