We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg to Mkhuze Game Reserve

Cape Town
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Johannesburg to Mkhuze Game Reserve

Hi We are travelling by road from Johanesburg to Mkhuze Game Reserve and want to stop overnight somewhere en route about 2 or 3 hours into the journey. We dont want to travel too far off the main road but would like to be in a place with a nature feel. Preferably chalets with fridge as we will have our supplies for staying in the reserve. Any suggestions? Thanks

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg to Mkhuze Game Reserve

In my view 2 - 3 hours into the journey is too soon to stop. You will still be in the rather bleak highveld (Secunda, Bethal area) with mielie fields and coal mines all around - without too many accommodation options and not much of a nature feel. I'd suggest you push on to beyond Ermelo where you can consider Piet Retief, Pongola, Jozini areas which have many more options. Alternatively why don't you try the Itala Game Reserve as your first stop? If you are going to Mkhuze for the birding then consider Wakkerstroom as a stop off to add to your trip list - I'm sure the B&B owners will be happy to provide fridge space if you organise it upfront.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg to Mkhuze Game Reserve

Thanks very much for the advice. We will have a look in the areas you have suggested. I agree it is better to get further away past Ermelo. We have been warned about roadworks in the Pongola area. Have you been there recently and do you know if they are ongoing? We are travelling at the end of June.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg to Mkhuze Game Reserve

There are apparently road works in the Pongola area - and if you are unlucky you can be caught by a few 20 minute stop and go restrictions. I have colleagues who regularly travel to Vryheid from Jo'burg and they currently recommend the route via Standerton, Volkrust and Utrecht. Itala is just beyond Vryheid. Perhaps you should consider that route? Again going via Wakkerstroom would also avoid road works and it is a scenic route.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg to Mkhuze Game Reserve

Hello, I can't advise too much on an overnight stop, but my brother in law was in Ithala a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. You may have to self cater though as rumour has it the restaurant has closed? You might find these two sites helpful. www.safarikzn.com & www.kznwildlife.com

5. Re: Johannesburg to Mkhuze Game Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, June 18, 2013