We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety & main attractions

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety & main attractions

Hi,

My boyfriend & I will be going to Durban next May for 3 nights (8/5 - 11/5-leave early for Phinda). We will arrive in Durban at 14:30 so as such we have two and a half days for activities.

We will be spending a whole day at UShaka but as such I am quite unsure about the activities within Durban. Is May too chilly to spend some time relaxing on the beaches? What other activities do you suggest? We will have a car so transportation is not a problem.

We are considering staying at Essenwood guest house since it has good reviews and it is quite close to Florida Road. I am just a little concerned about safety..Is it safe to walk to Florida Road from the guest house at night? Is Durban safe in general? Where to avoid?

Thanks

Daniela

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety & main attractions

No I wouldn't suggest walking at night, and it is quite a hill to walk up from Florida Road to Essenwood.

May is a beautiful time of year and you can certainly hit the beaches.

Other attractions, Phezulu Safari, The Moses Mahbida Stadium, Botanical Gardens, Ricksha bus tour of city (open double dekker bus), Indian Spice Marketlots to see and do in Durban, Indian Spice Market, , depending on your interests. Durban is as safe as any city, but you do need to be aware of your surroundings.

Avoid the city centre itself

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Edited: 5:10 am, September 06, 2010
Malta
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety & main attractions

Thanks for your reply.

I will certainly not walk at night if it is not safe.. However initially we were looking for accomodation in the city centre but after reading your post I have my doubts on this being a good idea. Where would you suggest as an inexpensive lodge for us to stay? If the city is not safe I thought maybe a beachfront lodge would suite us more. I have read that the the entire Durban beachfront has had a major facelift prior to the world cup and that it is quite safe. Is this correct?

Thanks once again for your advice

Daniela

Edited: 3:33 pm, September 06, 2010
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
252 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety & main attractions

Having stayed there myself I would recommend staying at Lindsayloft which is a short and safe walk to florida road .try www.lindsayloft.co.za.

Personally I dont think Ushaka could take up the whole day so you could spend time on the beach also on the same day.Iwould also consider visiting Oribi Gorge and drive through the valley of a 1000 hills

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety & main attractions

Essenwood Road is an expensive area with expensive properties, however if you wish to be nearer to Florida Road itself look at Mythai, there property runs from Innes Road near Mitchell Park and some lovely coffee shops thro to Florida Road. Many World Cup posters were recommended the hotel and they were very happy with the choice and they walked to Florida Rd from this location at night with no problems. Ps no beachfront lodges , only hotels and expensive for what you are getting, Florida Rd is a lovely area so stay around there if you can. The Neuk, McCalisters, lots of choices for you to stay at www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Edited: 1:24 am, September 07, 2010
5. Re: Safety & main attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 07, 2011