We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durban Hotels

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
5 posts
Save Topic
Durban Hotels

Hi, my partner is on a yacht race & should arrive in Durban 17/11/05 but could be late & I could be there on my own. I wondered whether anyone would recommend Garden Court North Beach for a female possibly on her own. In the event that hubby arrives in on time, I reckoned that it would be good to be close to Point Yacht Club for the parties which are likely to spill onto the Golden Mile. Would it be better to stay in somewhere like Quarters & taxi back when we've had a drink too many? Is there the equivalent of london black cabs which are safe & frequent? Hope you can help. Have read reviews re safety so any help would be welcome. Thanks.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durban Hotels

I think the Garden court on North beach should be ok, but Im pretty sure there are places closer to the yacht club? I cant remember any offhand, but have a look around?

There are no "black cabs" but we do have yellow taxis. They arent as common as blackcabs either, but get a number and Im sure you can order them to take you back to your hotel. Do not walk around at night as you wont know the areas and it may be dangerous.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durban Hotels

The Garden Court North Beach is in the Southern Sun stable and they are rebranding all their hotels, specifically those which were called Holiday Inn's. The Holiday Inn Garden Court is now known as Southern Sun North Beach. It's a nice hotel (3 Star)and it's right on the front but it's not too close to the Point Yacht Club and you definitely couldn't walk to there, particularly at night.

Quarters Hotel is a lovely hotel but is in the suburb of Berea but isn't near the Yacht Club.

The Royal Hotel is a 5 star hotel which is much closer to the Yacht Club than the SS North Beach. Again though, even though closer, I wouldn't venture out alone walking in the streets at night.

A reputable hotel would be able to call you a taxi but as the previous post said, we have nothing close in South Africa to the 'London cab'.

South Africa
Level Contributor
148 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durban Hotels

I may be a bit late for your trip as I have been away - but if it was me I would look at the Quarters option. The other members have given you the correst advise and while the hotels are o.k unfortunately the area is not that great and you definitely should not walk around at all. Would you not consider hiring a car as Durban is quite spread out and it would give you the opportunity of seeing our lovely town and surrounds. Near Quarters are about 20 awesome restaurants and close by is Musgrave Centre which is lovely for shopping. I would be quite happy walking on the Berea - but not the beach front unfortunately. We are hoping this will change soon as with the Point development it is slowly being uplifted and upgraded. Have fun

London
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Durban Hotels

Thanks for all your advice. I'll get booking & be careful out & about.