We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Cup Rip Off!!- Bon AMI Guest House

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
World Cup Rip Off!!- Bon AMI Guest House

Hello:

I am very much looking forward to coming to Durban next June for World Cup 2010.

I made a booking at Bon Ami Guest House (a B&B) for a total of 11 nights (2 rooms for 3 nights, then 1 room for 5 nights). I was quoted a price and accepted the quote at R8580. However I was told that they do not yet have the rates for 2010. I was told that they have not had a rate increase in 2 years and an increase was due. I can book it now, but I will have to pay the 2010 rate. I was told it was expected to be an increase in the 15%-20% range. I did book the rooms.

Well, when the '2010' rates came out the other day, I was given a new quote of R22,000. A 256% INCREASE!!!

I was told the 'Directors' set the price and they dont care because they know they will sell the rooms anyways.

In many places, this is called gouging and is not ethical. Not a great welcome to South Africa!

I contacted them and said it was unfair, but that I would be willing to pay R15,000 (almost double my original quote). I told them they should give me some consideration given that I had booked already. The response I got back was negative- they will not change the rates under any circumstances.

So, my reason for writing this is 2-fold:

1) They are not ethical people, so dont stay here; and

2) Is there a B&B association or something similar where I can report this unethical activity?

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: World Cup Rip Off!!- Bon AMI Guest House

I really think prices are all over the place. I booked with three places with between 10 and 30% inceases. I do get the impression that established, responsable businesses, who are planning on being around for a while do tend to keep their prices reasonable. People tend to remember when you raised your prices 300% and even if they stay somewhere because they feel they have no choice, they probably won't be passing on recommendations. I don't have a problem with a moderate rise in rates but I would probably draw the line at 300%.

I really think this is the norm during these kinds of events. I was thinking about visiting my family this January in Vancouver during the Winter Olympics, but accommodation rates where too high and I postponed. There were some places who were charging outrageous rates there as well.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: World Cup Rip Off!!- Bon AMI Guest House

Hi ellie

You have lots of experience of both good and not so good establishments in terms of price increases. Maybe you could post some of these on the new thread : tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k300…

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
437 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: World Cup Rip Off!!- Bon AMI Guest House

Yes, unfortunately some local yokels will show their true colours again.... Time again for the R1000/crayfish Cape Town episode, or the cricket where some young couple tried to sell tickets with a face value of R170 for R5000 each to some Oz clients of mine.

All you can do is blog Bon Ami, that has had a bit of success as your post comes up #9 on google for B/A GH and 5th if you add Durban. And like you are doing, book your accommodation now.

As for me, my blood is blue.....soccer at Loftus - what? It's heresy!

24. Re: World Cup Rip Off!!- Bon AMI Guest House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 01, 2010