We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durban in December

northumberland...
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Durban in December

We are looking to visit Durban in December, what will the weather be like

Thanks in anticipation of any replies

Eileen

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durban in December

Durban isn't the hottest place in South Africa, but because it has very high humidity in summer, your body doesn't cool very easily and so it can be uncomfortable. Daytime temperatures are likely to be around 28-34 degrees with high humidity. If you are not used to tropical weather I suggest getting accommodation with an air conditioner (a fan will circulate the air but not cool it down or get rid of the moisture).

La Lucia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Durban in December

Durban is hot in December and very humid. Also, being the long summer holidays, it is very busy and prices quoted will be for 'high season'. Schools go back on 21 January 2009 so if you could come to Durba then, it would be far more pleasant and also cheaper. Schools break up on 5 December 2008, so your other option would be to come before than. Why Durban though? If it is for the beach, suggest you look to Umhlanga Rocks or Ballito.

DURBAN SA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Durban in December

Hello Eileen,

I am originally from the North West of England and have been living in Durban for the past 4 years. In Durban we have one of the best climates in the world as even in Winter it rarely gets below 20 degrees in the daytime. As for December its not necessarily the heat, but the humidity you have to be careful about. It can get rather muggy and unpleasant at times, especially if youre not used to it. It can make you feel tired. I would say that I find Jan to be worse for humidity. This year hasnt been too bad, either that or I am getting used to it now. I wouldnt really worry about it, it all depends how you are affected by the heat, everyone is different. If you need any info please let me know. Happy Holidays

4. Re: Durban in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 29, 2009