We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Durban to Maputo

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Durban to Maputo

Anyone out there used the direct train? How do i find out more, buy tickets, etc?

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Durban to Maputo

As far as I know, there's no direct trains from Durban to Maputo.

Having said that, it is possible by using the Shosholoza Meyl from Durban to Johannesburg (www.spoornet.co.za) then from Johannesburg to Komatipoort on the Mozambique border, and walk over the border to catch a connecting train from Ressano Garcia to Maputo.

I've used the Shosholoza Meyl trains (use the tourist / sleeper class) and it's a great way to go from centre to centre in SA - but I'd be a bit wary of using the Johannesburg / Maputo section as it's a "normal" train.

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Durban to Maputo

how about getting a boat fro durban to maputo?

Africa
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Durban to Maputo

go down to the durban marina walk along the jetty, go into royal natal yacht club and point yacht club check the notice board for any boat deliveries heading north. and ask everyone you see in that area (especially along the jetty) if they know of any boat heading north... good luck im trying to plan a mission anywhere i can afford was thinking kilimanjaro

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Durban to Maputo

jungleadventure could be right but it's a hike from Port Alfred to Durban just in case.

There are two possibilities apart from driving and flying and apart from taking train from Pretoria (it was Durban to Maputo - see subject)

Green train from Durban - www.rovos.com - stops at SA / Moz border (I was chatting this morning to one of the guys on the train which had stopped at Matjiesfontein ( www.matjiesfontein.com - unbelievable BTW ) on its way to Cape Town. Incidentally, green train clearly superior to blue train - better suites, facilities, covers a lot more ground inc up to Dar.

Liner from Durban to v. near Maputo - http://www.starlightcruises.co.za but first one is 18th Nov and I want to go now.

Durban South Africa
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Durban to Maputo

ther is a train on a regular basis from durban to maputo.enquire with spoornet in south africa

(SA RAILWAYS)

6. Re: Train from Durban to Maputo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 26, 2009