We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berea or umhlanga

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Berea or umhlanga

Hi, we're visiting SA in november. We are spending 3 weeks in cape town with family as we do every year but this year we'll also be doing a tour round kruger and ending up in Durban. We're struggling to find a place to stay in durban. We'll only be there for 1 day and want to see something of the city. Would Berea be the best area then or Umhlanga? We want to be somewhere relativly safe. We saw a nice guesthouse in Berea called The burns. But then Umhlanga has got some great beachfront flats....help would be great!

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Berea or umhlanga

I went to Cape Town for the first time last year and although i really loved it, nothing beats KZN for me. It was lovely to walk around (we stayed at the v&a waterfront) day and night, didnt really feel unsafe other than from my own paranoia. But Durban definately has a different feel to it. To me it's more 'real'. We've never had any safety problems at all. Infact, we're the only couple from our group of friends who havent moved back to Durbs (that's a whole other post; i've pestered my husband to death!). I'm not going to lie to you, to answer your question directly yes, from what i hear from the media, it is more 'crime' ridden than CT. But then so is Joeys. Yet tens of 1,000s of tourist manage to holiday quite safely in Durbs. I have got no quams about recommending Durban as a tourist destination. No matter where you travel in the world, no-where appears safe anymore. Sad. The area around the mosque (off Grey St - there's also the market that's popular)i personally wouldnt recommend wandering around. Maybe im being pessimistic, i dont know. My husband is a Durbanite who says Grey St unsafe, i'm not sure what he basis this on. From what i've read on here, people tend to just park up and walk directly there, not wander around the streets.

But it's the same in CT. There are areas that arent 'advertised' for tourists. That's why areas like Umhlanga are great to base yourself - similar to staying at v&a with being able to walk to dinner in the evening.

Umhlanga'd be ideal but maybe it's worth you looking at Berea for accommodation then driving to dinner? As you say, it's only for one night.

Forgot to say in my last post, should take about 30 mins drive from Umhlanga to mosque.

Queeny

Belgium
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Berea or umhlanga

I got a friend who visited the area around the mosque last december. She's a woman alone and never had any problems. She did take normal precautions (not take any camera's with or even a handbag).I would have no idea what other there is to see in Durban city center. But i'll find out by looking around on the net after i found some accomodation.

Some people say greenmarket square isn't safe either to walk around in CPT but i think that's so not true....as long as you don't walk around looking like a tourist that can be spotted from a mile! (camera around the neck,pale white legs and looking lost ;-) )

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Berea or umhlanga

You know, all the bad press that i hear about Durban comes from ex-durbanites or other south africans! I'm very happy that your friend explored the Grey St. area and had no problems. I get a bit fed up when people post on here that they're considering visiting Durbs and other members say to rather give it a miss and suggest other areas to visit. I'm extremelly bias.

Only 9 months to go :)

14. Re: Berea or umhlanga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 20, 2009