We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach break near Durban

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clevedon, England
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
beach break near Durban

My 15 year old daughter and I are travelling to SA next Sunday (12th August), we are staying with a friend in Jo'burg for a few days then spending 5 days in Kruger. However before I come back to my hectic work life i would like a week chilling out on the beach, but also with the option to take the odd day trip to places of interest - either parks or the zulu lands.

We have been recommended to go near Durban as it will be warm. however as two females travelling alone, we need somewhere safe. I don't like the sound of Durban and would like somewhere smaller, more peaceful and more authentic.

Can anyone recommend anywhere? My Lonely Planet guide has been less than helpful.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
252 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach break near Durban

Stay in Umhalanga just up from Durban itself. We were there earlier this year and it was great, really felt safe. The kids and I walked happily from place to place. (Though admittedly not at night didn't actually try that). If you are not driving yourself use the Umhalanga taxis (you can email them to book a pick up at the airport).

Cheers

Mandy

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach break near Durban

You can also have a wonderful time in Margate or at : Sanlameer:http://www.sanlameer.net/

and even try out the Wildcoast Resort: sun-international.com/Resorts/…mainform.aspx

I think these places will most certainly appeal to you. The beaches are excellent.

Enjoy your trip to South Africa

Clevedon, England
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach break near Durban

Thanks, are these places where we can chill out where it's not too manic? I really need a few days of taking it easy and prefer little local places to those just geared around the tourist industry.

Also, is Stanger safe to visit and worth visiting? I wondered whether trips further into the real zulu country were worth doing and whether it is safe for us to do alone

Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
245 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach break near Durban

Dear Sunnywalks.

Take a look at The North Coast of Durban. Also called the Dolphin Coast. It's alot smaller and safer than the greater Durban area. Many local South Africans use that area for their main summer holidays. There are good beaches and lots of shops and restaurants. For your accommodation have a look at

sa-venues.com/attractionskzn/kzn_dolphincoas…

or

http://www.wheretostay.co.za/kzn/nc/

There was some wave damage to coastline in March but we have been there recently and the beaches are now reopened.

The daytime temperature will be around 25/30 degrees and the evenings between 15/20 degrees.

If you want to go to the game park at Hluhluwe/Umfolozi, St Lucia wetlands park or Drakensberg national park you can hire a car or take a tour it will take about 2 hours to get there.

Hope this helps

Jack 0705

Clevedon, England
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach break near Durban

thanks Jack, that's really helpful

Glasgow, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach break near Durban

I would guess Ballito fits your bill prefectly. Its a bit further up the coast from Durban than Umhlanga. We stayed in umhlanga last year and it really feels a bit like a extended suburb of Durban now! Ballito about 30 mins drive further up the cost had a more relaxed holiday feel to it

Umhlanga South...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach break near Durban

I think you and your daughter would have a great time in Umhlanga. Make sure you are on the beach , close to the hotels. Your daughter will love going to Gateway to shop and you will enjoy eating there as well. If you do come make sure to have a casual meal at Zaras at Plaza centre. Its our best place for brunch or lunch and we eat there often.

Also check out what shows are on at Gateway Barnyard Theatre. They are always fun to go to and of a generally high standard.

8. Re: beach break near Durban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:59 am, September 10, 2007
9. Re: beach break near Durban

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:59 am, September 10, 2007
10. Re: beach break near Durban

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 09, 2009