We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

soweto

gold coast
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
soweto

We are going to Soweto for a day tour and wanted to take something small to give to some of the kids,any suggestions? Lollies? I heard tissues were always welcome?

10 replies to this topic
geneva
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: soweto

Please rather make a donation to one of many charities or orphanages run by the local community.You do not want to encourage children to beg when they see tourists...

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: soweto

Especially not "lollies" or sweets, as they may not have access to good dental care.

And definitely not money, as many of them, even as young as 8 or 9, will spend it on drugs .

Do as Caviar suggests

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: soweto

Completely agree. Here's a list of some of them but there are many more.

jozikids.co.za/johannesburg/…

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: soweto

Hello, i ask my guests to bring pencils, ball point pens, exercise books and general school stationery.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: soweto

Of course some kids are unfortunately hooked on drugs, but I would not say that it's "many of them".

Rather research an orphanage in Soweto and ask your tour operator to visit that particular orphanage. You can then contact the orphanage (most will have contact details online) and ask them what they would appreciate, and not assume what they need.

A quick google search for "soweto orphanages' brings a few options.

The kids

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: soweto

SepSep,

almost every day, I have seen kids, not yet in their teens, sniffing glue and begging for money ( to buy more glue?) at traffic lights.

Statistics show that drug abuse in south Africa is twice that of the rest of the world.

If that is "not many", then I do not know what is.

If you think it is "not many", then please have a look at these links.

abc.net.au/worldtoday/…s3784882.htm

…wordpress.com/most-commonly-used-drugs/…

cover.co.za/news/drug-abuse-is-damaging-sout…

Kind regards

Gavin

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: soweto

Hi Gavin.

While driving through Soweto, how many kids do you see in school uniform coming from school? How many kids do you see coming from church? Let's not generalise that the kids at the traffic light sniffing glue are the majority of kids.

Considering the population of Soweto and fact that our population is a majority under 18, I'm surprised you'd be able to drive through the traffic light with all those glue-sniffing kids on the streets.

But I think we digress...

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: soweto

Hi Gavin.

While driving through Soweto, how many kids do you see in school uniform coming from school? How many kids do you see coming from church? Let's not generalise that the kids at the traffic light sniffing glue are the majority of kids.

Considering the population of Soweto and fact that our population is a majority under 18, I'm surprised you'd be able to drive through the traffic light with all those glue-sniffing kids on the streets.

But I think we digress...

Johannesburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: soweto

Gavin S, there is plenty of money in Soweto. That children as young as 8 and 9 will spent money on drugs is a green lie. Having lived in Soweto for the past 40 years of my life I am yet to see that.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: soweto

Also, a some small coloring books would be welcome with coloring pencils. Tissues would be welcome in the informal settlement creches and wet wipes.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Reply to: soweto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Soweto
Recent Conversations